Help Picking a new pump

Mar 5, 2016
Central CT
I bought my house in October and it came with a pool The pump died between when I got the house and the closing. The prior pump was a sta-rite 3/4 HP single speed pump set up for 115V. I have one skimmer and no main drain. I just looked in my garage for the return eyeballs, and it seems like there are three of those. No water features or spa. I'm not sure of the pipe diameter unless you can tell from the picture below. I"m a little unclear of the best way to measure pipe diameter with the connectors on the end of the pipes? My best guess at volume is 20,000-23,000 gallons.

I'm looking for a dual speed pump. It looks like a Pentair WhisperFlo, Sta-Rite SuperMax, or Hayward Max-Flo all have 115V dual speed 3/4 or 1 HP pump. What are the differences? How do you decide what to go with?

I was also wondering if it was worth trying to replace just the motor? I"m not sure what the lifespan of a pump is, this one is probably around 13 years old.

Untitled by bigevilgrape, on Flickr

The Whisperflo is a higher head pump than a SuperFlo/SuperMax or MaxFlo XL pumps and if you don't have any high volume water features, then I there is no need to go with the Whisperflo. Also, the SuperFlo and SuperMax are identical pumps so no difference other than color. All are good pumps made by competing manufactures. I am partial to the MaxFlo XL because it has a little better efficiency than the SuperFlo. A 1 HP two speed in either pump line would work well for you.

Also, do you have a cleaner or are you planning to get one? If so, what kind?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.