Could use some Help! WFE-4 Pump Motor Won't Start At All

gvp

Mar 9, 2016
Diamond Bar/CA
I'm a new member here at the forum. I need some help in trying to troubleshoot why my pump motor won't start up. It's on a mechanical timer and has been working fine on a daily schedule. Last weekend I noticed that the pump was not running when I went outside. Moved in 3 years ago. No idea how old the pump motor is. However, over two years ago, the capacitor on the outside of the housing was replaced under home warranty.

It is WFE-4 Square Flange Motor. The decal says a Pentair Part O-177450-03. Cross Reference tells me its a 71314. The timer works fine and keeps the correct time. I tried the on/off switch that overrides the timer - nothing; no humming or anything. It does not make any noise at all, nor does it try to start.

I can manually turn the shaft located at the back of the motor which leads me to believe that theres no blockage since it easily turns by hand. I tried changing out the same capacitor - nothing; no humming or anything. BTW, is this one located on the hump of the housing the start or run capacitor?

I'm thinking about opening up the back cover but after reading some threads here, I'm curious....For this motor, is there another capacitor inside the back cover? Is there a centrifugal switch inside the back cover? If yes to either one, what do they look like and approximately where would they be located? How can I tell if it's bad and needs replacement or adjustment?

It's been a few days, I need to get this pump motor working soon or replace it entirely?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

If the capacitor failed, it would hum when turned on. It could be the centrifugal switch if it has one. Sometimes the contacts get corroded. Did you check the voltage to the motor to make sure it isn't anything else?

Yes I checked the voltage at the terminal of the timer and also the voltage at the terminals of the pump motor. The voltage reading is good ~ 250V which is ~10% of the nameplate voltage.

I'm planning to remove the back cover next and look at the electrical parts inside with the start capacitor and/or switch as my next targets.

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

Opened the back cover. Looks like the motor's dead. There's a small portion of the winding that's burnt black.

Haven't done this before....can this be repaired? Is it worth it to repair? Where can i go online to get a replacement motor? Anyone have any tips on installing the replacement motor?

Attachments

• 20160313_175814-1.jpg
    20160313_175814-1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 48
Looks like the windings shorted. You need a new motor.

But as long as you are shopping for a new motor, you might as well consider a two speed. A B2982 two speed motor will fit your old pump's wet end. You will also need a Whisperflo Go-Kit.

Thanks for the input. Regarding the rec to go two speed motor, what else do i need to operate a two speed motor? Some additional dual speed controller or a replacement timer? All i have installed currently is one of those mechanical timers with the on/off trippers.

You can add a second timer for switching between low and high (T106R) or you could use a manual switch. It just depends on how you think you would use it.

It is all about energy use and energy cost but there is an additional benefit of lower noise on low speed vs high.

But what I meant by how you would use it, some people, like me, run on high for an hour so the skimmers work a bit better and the cleaner can run. Then the controller steps down to low speed for the rest of the run. So if you have a cleaner that requires higher flow rates or you find that low speed just isn't cutting it for skimming, you could do the same. You could also just go with a manual switch to start and then if you find you would like to have automated switching, that could be added later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My cleaner could use the higher flow rate, so the two speed sounds good to me since I'm replacing the motor anyway. When you say manual switch, it's an add on I would wire to the two speed motor right? I saw a two speed with a timer switch on top of the housing where the capacitor hump would be. Are those any good designs?

Do you know if the B2982 comes standard with the toggle switch in the back which I imagine is for Hi-Lo speed select?

While looking at the link for the B2982T, it says this:

**California’s Title 20 legislation states that pumps > 1HP (total) must be 2-speed or variable speed, and must have a control to default to low-speed (i.e. timer)

I actually would consider the B2892T if its dimensions fit my current setup and space , but does this mean they wont sell me a single speed motor?

The b2982t IS a two speed pump AND has a timer so qualifies for CA. So why are you still considering a single speed pump?

You can actually maintain a pool indefinitely without a pump. It is just a lot more work.

Keep adding chlorine manually and mix it up with a pool brush.

Also don't forget a go kit for the pump.

Just finished installing the B2982T! Quiet dual speed motor. Built-in timer works well!
No issues whatsoever, other than needed to use a strap wrench to turn the impeller and had to tackle two frozen bolts before I got the old single speed motor off.
Thanks for the tips mas985!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.