New liner pool outside of Boston, FINALLY!!

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
I would first like to start out by saying how happy I am to finally be able to start a thread on our pool's construction! This has been years in the making. Just met with the builder and they will break ground in 3 weeks, and we just got approved by the town for all of our permits. Our pool will not be large, but will be perfect for us.

I will follow up with many pictures of the process along the way. Here is our story with pics to get you started.

This was a project that needed to be done is phases. We have a small lot, and there is a 6 foot elevation change from one end to the other. The previous owner had built a wood retaining wall, and had an older fence around the yard. However he had done all the work himself and did not pay any regard to property lines or codes. It all needed to come out, and be redone to support the pool and adhere to town code. We also needed to re route and add more drainage from our roof. The grade was also going to be lowered so the new wall didn't have to be erected so high per the town. Phase 1 was started late summer of 2015, and was completed in October.

Lot prior to any work being done:

2l92o04.jpg

14t8q4x.jpg

Tree removal, fence removal, and retaining wall removal.

mmcr2v.jpg

1zecvb6.jpg

Building the new wall, and lowering the grade.

awmkm.jpg

2w4zeqg.jpg

2l8gn5h.jpg

wararo.jpg

New drywell to support gutters.

2z88fvq.jpg

New fence was put in.

30w0z8o.jpg

2jcam1h.jpg

It does not look like it from the pictures, but we did gain a lot more yard then we had before. Still, with the small size plot and the town setbacks, we are forced to go with a smaller pool. It will be a 14x28 kidney shaped liner pool. Below is the initial concept, which we have amended, and then the current CAD plans. I apologize for the low quality of these images. Instead of the fire pit we are putting in a pergola, and we are tearing out the old patio and replacing with grass. The pool shaped changed from the original figure 8 to a kidney to maximize sq footage. The coping will be pavers and natural stone, while the patio will be paver. We will also be updating the steps from the house down to the pool deck.

or13qa.jpg

21e5ms3.jpg

Excited and nervous to finally begin the adventure. After much time spent reading through countless posts on this site, I feel confident that we made a lot of good decisions. I look forward to updating with more pics along the way.

WOW! What an adventure you are on! Just to get your lot set up was some kind of work! Who puts up a fence and does NOT check the property line???? OUCH! Good job on your set up!

I love the design of the pool and the area. That is going to be nice when it is done!

Kim

WOW! What an adventure you are on! Just to get your lot set up was some kind of work! Who puts up a fence and does NOT check the property line???? OUCH! Good job on your set up!

I love the design of the pool and the area. That is going to be nice when it is done!

Kim

Thank you! We are excited and nervous all at the same time. Nervous because we just want the build to go smooth. Again, this site has been such a wealth of knowledge I really cannot thank everyone enough. Looking forward to this summer for sure, and I am sure I will have more questions for you all.

So progress continues this way. We have signed off on our liner choice, "The Regatta", and have signed off on the final shape. Both the liner and polymer panels have been ordered. Once received they will start digging. Hoping this is within the next couple of weeks.

Final grading of the yard has begun, as has ripping out the old patio.

2af020w.jpg

mmcvg6.jpg

FInal pool shape:

2ez4aio.jpg

2mosdu1.jpg

Liner "The Regatta"

2jeprbb.jpg

So as it turns out we were not done as we thought on agreeing to the final shape and depth. The plans listed above were for panels that were 42" tall, but we wanted a shallow end of 3'6" so the panels need to be 48" tall. They sent out new plans for me to sign off on, but with this set of plans they now included where the slope starts, and pool depths. Wanted some opinions on this. Our pool is not very long in total length. I feel the shallow end is longer than I would want, followed by a slope moving to the deep end rather quickly in the grand scheme of things. As it stands in this set of plans the shallow end is 40% of the pool, followed by the slope which is 25%, then the deep end makes up the remaining 35%. Since the pool is not very long nor deep (3'6"-5') we wanted more of a gradual slope. We have asked the builder to come back with a plan of the pool being split up more evenly, giving us a longer more gradual slope to the deep end. He said they can, but worries as we have little ones that the pool will get too deep too fast. What are your thoughts?

2bqoa1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my opinion, I like deeper more.

My current pool begins it's slope about halfway through and I wish it began much sooner and was deeper (only 7 ft in the last 1/4 of the pool in the middle).
(my last pool was a 9 foot deep diving well, with a very rapid depth from shallow loved it)

But young kids is a major consideration. As long as life jackets are used and always supervised (as I do) I don't see a problem.

And once they're grown up it won't be an issue.

So we made the change and are much happier with the location of where the slope will be starting. This will make the slope more gradual, and will not make the pool as shallow. Builder placed the order today for the panels! Now if the weather would just stay nice they may actually be able to start digging.

244to5h.jpg

Just got the call last night that our dig day is next Tuesday weather permitting. We are very excited over here!

Of course as things tend to work out, we will be on vacation week three of the build. Originally we were supposed to have already been way under way, but weather and going back forth on design has backed us up. Needless to say I am not in love with the idea of not being here, but I have been assured that most of the work will be done in the first two weeks as they need to move fast due to my soil conditions.

We did add a heat pump to our list of equipment. I know here in New England a heat pump will not extend our seem season, but it will take the chill out. My wife and I prefer water temp around 83. No gas line to our house, and the town will not allow for propane where our equipment pad will be setup. I ended up ordering the Hayward Heatpro 110,000 BTU unit from Amazon. It will be delivered next week, and the pool company will install. Much cheaper that route than purchasing the same unit from the pool company.

Looking forward to the weeks ahead!

Happy news for sure!

Now if they are on a very important part of the build while you are gone you CAN make them stop and wait until you get back. YOU are the one paying so what you say goes! When the time comes let us know where the build is and we can guide you on if you need to be there or not.

Kim :cat:

No worries being out of town. Usually PB's don't do any work on weeks 2, 3, 5-6, 8, 9 and 11! Or some variation of that it seems.

JK of course, but you can always request him to send you detailed pics so you can approve all work done those days.

How old are the kids?

Kids are toddlers.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy news for sure!

Now if they are on a very important part of the build while you are gone you CAN make them stop and wait until you get back. YOU are the one paying so what you say goes! When the time comes let us know where the build is and we can guide you on if you need to be there or not.

Kim :cat:

Builder sent me payment schedule today. We discussed our being away on vacation. It was agreed that if I wanted them to stop while we are away that would be fine. However, he is still saying that the bulk of things will be done the first two weeks but it is my decision to make.

Now that this is all finally happening, why am I so nervous?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.