First Pool Winning battles - losing war with Algae

Lula

Mar 7, 2016
MIAMI, FLA.
Hi,
I realize that all my questions are likely found deep in these forums but my head does the double spin and I fall down Rabbit Holes reading about things I don't understand, yet. I have many questions but here I will start with my most pressing concerns.

1. Does the fact that my returns bubble and growl every 2 to 3 minutes mean I have an issue?
2. Does the fact that my bottom drain (not sure if correct lingo) has a cover that isnt attached and is often far removed from the drain cause problems?
3. Am I truly looking at a 4000.00 to 6000.00 outlay for a pool refinish? It was built in 1982 and has peeling paint (was told people paint pools to help sell homes?!) which I remove bi-weekly from the filter. Even if the algae is tame, the pool is always slightly cloudy with bits of paint.
4. Do all of the above explain partly (the main part being my steep learning curve with Pool water balance etc.) my continuous algae wars?
5. Can a pool this old support a vacuum?

I was doing the trips to the Pool Store for help until I began to realize that my advice was completely dependent on who was behind the counter. Different guy, different solution. I have now discovered TFP and am placing my faith here. I purchased the K-2006 and was thrilled to balance the PH all by myself!!!! A small victory.

If it helps my CYA is 70, FC is 2.5 and CC is .5

Thanks so much for taking the time!
Lula

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You did right to come to us. Your instinct about the pool store was correct. As for your questions:
1 - Suction side air leak. See Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks; is your pump strainer basket always full?
2 - If operational, that is probably a safety issue. You should try to repair if possible
3 - Let's make sure we separate any paint concerns from algae or any other chemical balance issue. We can get real specific here to assist with chemicals; paint peeling will be other forum members chiming in; but to be clear - you should have no algae in your pool. If you do, we can help you fix that.
4 - Maintaining good water chemistry (NO algae) is much easier that you probably think. Please see my signature for Pool School and start there. Very easy!
5 - If you have a decent pump and skimmer, you can vacuum. There are other ways to vacuum as well (electrically powered cleaners) that do just fine.

As for your test readings (Taylor K-2006 - great!), your CYA is on the high end for a non-salt water pool (no SWG), so please ensure you have no tablets/pucks in use. They raise CYA very quickly. Just use regular household bleach (no fancy scents or splashless). Based on that CYA of 70, your FC should be at a target of 8 for a non-SWG pool. I would increase that right away. A CC of .5 puts you right on the edge of telling us your pool is fighting to oxidize organic material. You may be on the edge of needing to do what we call a "SLAM". That page is also in my sig.

Next time you post test results, please include your TA, pH, and CH as they help to tell us a little more about the condition of your water.

So Lula, please digest everything I've posted. You'll see lots more replies. But start with the basics (i.e. Pool School, ABCs of Water Chemistry, etc). These will help you understand everything we are trying to say. Let us know if you have any more questions okay.

Oh, and Lula, I wanted to emphasize to you ... if you have any algae at all, you will need to perform a "SLAM". You can see the SLAM instructions HERE. When done properly, it WILL kill all algae in the water. But read this page carefully a couple times, then let us know if you have any questions or reservations about doing the SLAM.

Thank you for responding so quickly! I have read the SLAM and do have a question. The few battles I won with various suggestions from the peanut gallery(Pool Store) were clearly not complete. Now that I am wrapping my brain around the chemistry of what is happening i am optimistic that a solution is at hand. My confusion on the Slam directions is how much chlorine to add to my pool to create the recommended levels? (I made a mistake in my signature it should read 18,000 gal ). Do I start as small as 1/2 a gallon? or do I go big and dump in the entire 5?
I apologize if the answer is right there and Im missing it. I am a very hands on learner, if I can do it once I am in for life. If there was a Idiots guide to Pools I would devour it because I need the step by step.
Thanks again

can you get a stiff bristle pool brush and expedite the paint peeling process? If so, you can probably line your skimmer or leaf rake (net on a stick) and physically remove big particles of that paint at once, if you're able to brush it off the surface.

I can understand how overwhelming it can be with information; however, listen to what they say and how they guide you. If you do what they say, your pool will be awesome and you will love taking care of it minimally... I can attest to it :)

Ahhh, no problem. We can help. :) Best thing to do ..... see the link in my sig for the Poolmath Calculator? Go to that. Enter your pool info (gallons), then enter your readings (NOW and GOAL) (left column and right column). So if your NOW (left column) is an FC of 3, and your enter a GOAL (right column) of FC 28, then to the right it will tell you how much bleach to add. For the bleach, make sure you type-in what percentage bleach you bought (ie. "weight" of 6%, 8.25%, 10%, etc).

Also, adjust the pH to 7.2-7.4 BEFORE starting the SLAM and adding that bleach. When the FC is over 10, we won't test pH anymore until after the SLAM.

Hope that helps clear the mud. :)

Thanks for the reply! I have been brushing daily, paint and algae being a constant lately. The particles are far less than when I first moved in, the water ran white when I cleaned the filter, but they are still a daily thing. I am guessing that there is no end to the problem. The companies that came out to give me estimates for resurfacing said that once the paint is gone I will be in danger of the pool being eaten away by the chemicals and the only answer is sandblasting and resurfacing. Good Times... I do not have the money for such repairs and am hoping I can maintain the pool until I do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhh, no problem. We can help. :) Best thing to do ..... see the link in my sig for the Poolmath Calculator? Go to that. Enter your pool info (gallons), then enter your readings (NOW and GOAL) (left column and right column). So if your NOW (left column) is an FC of 3, and your enter a GOAL (right column) of FC 28, then to the right it will tell you how much bleach to add. For the bleach, make sure you type-in what percentage bleach you bought (ie. "weight" of 6%, 8.25%, 10%, etc).

Also, adjust the pH to 7.2-7.4 BEFORE starting the SLAM and adding that bleach. When the FC is over 10, we won't test pH anymore until after the SLAM.

Hope that helps clear the mud. :)[/QUOT

​It absolutely does! Thank you I am off to SLAM!!!

If you do a slam on the pool, you can kill off all traces of algae. Your filter will remove all the dead algae along with any paint chips. If you continue to have some paint peeling, you may continue to have some flakes of paint in the water, but there is no reason you can't have a crystal clear pool. You can enjoy a safe, perfectly usable (even if a bit unsightly due to peeling paint) pool. Resurfacing the pool is a completely seperate topic, and isn't necessary for you to enjoy the pool.

Oh Lula! We are SO glad you found us! You are going to love it here as will your wallet! Everyone above has you well started. I just wanted to jump in and say HI!

Ask ANY questions no matter how small and someone will answer you!

HUGS!

Kim

Okay Lula, let's re-cap ....... You've read the SLAM page, adjusted pH to 7.2-7.4, and stocked-up on regular (generic) bleach to begin increasing your FC to 28 based on your CYA of 70. I got those correlating numbers from the Chlorine/CYA Chart for your non-SWG pool. So besides all the details on the SLAM page (pump running 24/7, sweep/scrub, clean filter often to remove dead algae, etc), your most important job now is to "maintain" that FC of 28. The more consistent you are at keeping that FC there, the more efficient the SLAM process will go for you. During this period, if you have any items in the pool that can be a hiding spot for algae (ladder, light fixture, etc), remove or inspect them as well. You wold be amazed what kind of growth people find in those items.

From here you can expect any algae to slowly start to change color and/or disappear. That doesn't mean you're done yet, only that things are "in transition". That's good. Stick with it. Take before and after pics as well as that can help you see the transition. A SLAM can take a few days (really bad pools longer), so be patient. Once the water looks to be clear (very clear), and your FC appears to be holding its strength longer between bleach additions, you know you are getting close. At that point, towards the end, you'll perform an overnight test as noted on the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. That test, along with the clear water and no more than .5 CC (Combined Chlorine) will be your goal.

After the SLAM, we'll ask for a full set of test results (FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH). This is where we will help fine-tune your levels for a trouble free pool. :swim:

Okay Lula, let's re-cap ....... You've read the SLAM page, adjusted pH to 7.2-7.4, and stocked-up on regular (generic) bleach to begin increasing your FC to 28 based on your CYA of 70. I got those correlating numbers from the Chlorine/CYA Chart for your non-SWG pool. So besides all the details on the SLAM page (pump running 24/7, sweep/scrub, clean filter often to remove dead algae, etc), your most important job now is to "maintain" that FC of 28. The more consistent you are at keeping that FC there, the more efficient the SLAM process will go for you. During this period, if you have any items in the pool that can be a hiding spot for algae (ladder, light fixture, etc), remove or inspect them as well. You wold be amazed what kind of growth people find in those items.

From here you can expect any algae to slowly start to change color and/or disappear. That doesn't mean you're done yet, only that things are "in transition". That's good. Stick with it. Take before and after pics as well as that can help you see the transition. A SLAM can take a few days (really bad pools longer), so be patient. Once the water looks to be clear (very clear), and your FC appears to be holding its strength longer between bleach additions, you know you are getting close. At that point, towards the end, you'll perform an overnight test as noted on the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. That test, along with the clear water and no more than .5 CC (Combined Chlorine) will be your goal.

After the SLAM, we'll ask for a full set of test results (FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH). This is where we will help fine-tune your levels for a trouble free pool. :swim:

This is fantastic! Thank you so much! I am really enjoying learning all of this! I will follow to a T!

- - - Updated - - -

Since you have peeling paint, I'm sure you have paint chips entering your filter, which will require a lot of extra backwashing. One way to minimize that problem,is to keep your skimmer lined with one of these hairnets. They will strain out all the paint chips and all but the smallest debris, and at $6 per 100, couldn't be cheaper.

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products

What a brilliant idea! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

If you do a slam on the pool, you can kill off all traces of algae. Your filter will remove all the dead algae along with any paint chips. If you continue to have some paint peeling, you may continue to have some flakes of paint in the water, but there is no reason you can't have a crystal clear pool. You can enjoy a safe, perfectly usable (even if a bit unsightly due to peeling paint) pool. Resurfacing the pool is a completely seperate topic, and isn't necessary for you to enjoy the pool.

That is very reassuring - Thank you! I have always wanted a swimming pool and while the pool I have may not be perfect it is great to know that I can use it without worry!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Lula! We are SO glad you found us! You are going to love it here as will your wallet! Everyone above has you well started. I just wanted to jump in and say HI!

Ask ANY questions no matter how small and someone will answer you!

HUGS!

Kim

Thank you Kim! The people on here are so incredible! I already feel like I have more control over my pool than I did when I posted earlier today! Really love learning how to take care of my own toys!

Hello!
I have a blue pool!!! Well with green blobs (photo) but still it is blue! So my question is about the blobs. They are too powdery to pick up with a net so I am guessing this is a vacuum situation. Or, can I keep sweeping it and hoping that the filter catches it all eventually. I ask because I don't own a vacuum and from what I have been told I will need to spend upwards of 350.00 to get a good one. Not super anxious to spend the money but, if it is imperative for me continuing on the road to Pool Maintenance I will begin to clip and save.
Thanks again everyone for helping me get here! Can not wait to jump in~

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.