Sundeck, who has it and what are your thoughts?

Hey Titan, we have new Sundeck and like it a lot so far.

We've not had it long enough to test out the 'coolness' to the touch on a hot Texas summer but it's gotta be better than concrete. Also like the texture and it is definitely not slippery - well, not overly slippery.

Thanks, I will check out your build thread. We just had new concrete poured 2 wks ago, have a couple tiny hairline cracks, yeah, we knew this could happen, but I also found the concrete to be a bit more slick that I thought it would be. I am thinking safety and as a side benefits of uniform color, other than grey and the curing hairline cracks will be gone.

We have it and love it.....The surface does not get to hot here in Austin, even when temperature is way over 100 and Dogs have no problem at all walking on it either, even in the heat of the day. I have to power wash it in the spring and fall as it does seem to get dirty. Not slippery at all at my pool.

Sundeck said something like $5 per SF, they must be joking, you can get concrete poured for $6-8 per SF. I will need to look around, no hurry, I am going to let the new deck continue with it's curing cracks for at least 3-6 months, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know if you saw my build thread, but I did KoolCote, another popular company in Texas. havent had it long, but we do love the aesthetic of it. Only issue is that it has been getting pretty dirty already.

as to the cost, the coating companies really try to take full advantage of homeowners. They're strategy is to start out witha really high price and see if you'll pay it. The prices they give builders are substantially lower. They gave me the volume discount builder price of $1.85/sq ft, but I don't know how often they do that low. In any case it's highly negotiable and there are multiple companies that do it. Just say you're the builder and you've heard from other subs that it runs under $2 and that that's what you're seeing from the competition. Also, the cost to buy the material yourself on Amazon is something like $1 per sq ft so have that be your baseline. One other thing: one of the best advantages you as a homeowner have over a builder is that you can pay them right away. I wrote a check upfront for mine (reputable company only).

another thing to note: it costs more if it's not new concrete so I'd suggest that you not delay.

So, we've considered sundeck but my husband is worried about delamination down the road -- and future imperfections will drive my husband nuts. As a self-proclaimed OCD, is this something you could handle?

Helen, this pool/backyard project has just about cured my OCD issues. I am almost to the point that I don't care anymore. We will live with the new concrete deck for a few months of pool use and see how slick it is.

I am sure we will get a few more shrinkage cracks along the way too.

We got some shrinkage cracks almost right away but nothing additional in 3 years in MD. Just some minor spalling in one section.

This is a good tip Titan. I was only looking at KoolDeck. This Sundek coating looks interesting...ive bookmarked their webpage.
From what you have researched so far, is it applied by another (i.e: specialized) sub - not the concrete/decking sub? Ive got a good decking sub, but he knows nothing about acrylic coatings...just stamped/salted/exposed agg...so if this is another trade, it helps my case.
thanks.

Frank,
the Kooldeck goes on pretty quickly after the concrete is poured. The Sundek product seems to be a more durable coating. I am going to try living with the concrete this summer and then decide on the Sundeck coating.

Thought I would bump this up in-case others out there with a spray deck chime in. I found another product by Increte, that seems to be really good. Also appears that it's really hard to find people in CA with this product. To those of you with a spray deck, (acrylic) does it get scratched up with patio chairs etc? Still weighing options here.

thanks!

My inlaws have had acrylic spray deck (they call it Kool Deck, but it could be another version) since 1998 or 1999. No noticeable scratches, but they don't move their wrought iron patio furniture around much. The plastic and aluminum chairs haven't left any marks. Its starting to show its age in spots - I think it has faded somewhat over time with a few minor discoloration spots, and in the last few years some cracks and crumbles have become noticeable (at coping/tile line areas or where underlying concrete has cracked). This is in Phoenix with full afternoon sun. It can still feel hot to the touch (splashing water on it or your feet really helps) but it seems significantly cooler than concrete. I wouldn't hestitate to use it.

Old thread, but curious how this Sundeck and Koolcote coatings are holding up. Just had Koolcote quoted (about $6/ft), but he said if I have hairline cracks (I do), if the concrete moves at all it will crack again. Their coating is not elastic at all.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.