Pool Auto Leveler

jeremysm1

Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2015
Scottsdale/AZ
Newbie here. I had to drain my pool's water and refill. Once it got about a foot or so before the desired level, I turned off the hose and turned on the auto fill. I didn't catch the issue until my pool was overfilled--almost to the top. I turned off the auto leveler and dumped the water back to midway on my tile and have been concentrating on my pool chemicals. Now, I'd like to turn back on the auto leveler as it gets warmer outside here in Scottsdale Arizona but I don't trust it. I'll attach a picture, it's not as gross as the pic looks. It's been 8 years and never changed or adjusted. Should I change it out or is it a simple setting? How do I adjust the setting as my water level is about perfect right now?

Recommendations would be great as I don't know much about pool maintenance and am learning daily. Also, how do I know if it's a 3/8 or 1/2? If I replace, assuming brass is the way to go? Any suggestions on where to buy (Amazon)? Direct Links? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160310_083939.jpg
    20160310_083939.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 189
I am not a fan of auto-levelers. They seem terrific but can mask a leak, malfunction, etc. I know that doesn't help your selection process but I really think manual attention to water level is a good thing to help you manage your pool a little better.

That's a good point. Are there any good guides that cover evaporation (such as in Arizona--a lot of water has to evaporate) and how to determine whether the water level is going down because of a leak or evaporation? I still want to fix this auto leveler, but I do think it would be good to turn it off periodically for the reason you pointed out. Thanks!

overall, TFP thinks 1/4 inch daily loss is a decent average throughout most of the US.........except of course where you live!!!!

You'll have to become a good judge of that if you take the leveler off.....I would say 3/8 maybe even 1/2 inch wouldn't be alarming but I have no experience.

That's a good point. Are there any good guides that cover evaporation (such as in Arizona--a lot of water has to evaporate) and how to determine whether the water level is going down because of a leak or evaporation? I still want to fix this auto leveler, but I do think it would be good to turn it off periodically for the reason you pointed out. Thanks!
As you found out, if an auto leveler fails, then the pool level should rise until it overflows which is pretty obvious so I see no need to "test" it. The only caveat is that if you have an overflow too, then that would be an issue and you should never have both "active" at the same time, nor should you need to really (rainy vs dry season).

If the valve didn't shut off on it's own then it likely has an issue that would probably be difficult to repair. However, you can find fairly inexpensive fill valves on eBay and Amazon. I prefer the all plastic valves because they don't corrode like the metal.

This is what I have: Swimming Pool Pond Spa Water Leveler Replacement MP Auto Fill Float Valve 3 8 | eBay

I think I have the same auto fill as you. I went to my local hardware store and they had the exact same valve. It is the same one that is used in evaporative (swamp) coolers. Others may not be a fan of auto fill devices, but with the evaporatin rates here in the desert you would spend a lot of time filling with a hose.

I am a fan of my autofill, takes the day to day maintenance out of it. We did have a leak a couple of years ago and it was very easy to tell on the next water bill!

I am not a fan of auto-levelers. They seem terrific but can mask a leak, malfunction, etc.

In my pool, I have both auto-fill and overflow drain. However, my PB set it up so that the overflow level is slightly higher than my auto-fill level. My PB told me this was intentional--I would be able to see if auto-fill was not working correctly. By looking at my pool, I can tell if the water level is a bit high: If it's recently rained, I don't worry; if it's been dry, then I need to take a look at the toilet valve. So far, I've not had any problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you wanted to determine fairly precisely what your average daily evaporation is, you could fill a 5 gallon bucket and set it on steps. Use a sharpie pen and mark the water level on the side of the bucket, then see how much the level drops in a day, or 2, or however long you wanted to leave the bucket there.

In AZ, during the hot months of the summer, a pool can easily lose 1/2" of water per day. Average annual pan evaporation data for cities in the Phoenix area can range anywhere from 75" to 95" of water (yes, you can evaporate an entire pool's worth of water here!!). So an auto-fill is essential to keeping a pool filled.

One very good reason why they are useful is that if you fill by hand, you won't be very precise or regular about it. The constant level change in the water will cause a thick white calcium band to develop on the tile line from the constant level change and evaporation of water. Auto-fills keep a pool's water level fairly constant.

If you're worried about a leak, you can buy a standard water flow rate gauge (the kind that are used on residential water meters) and cut it into the pipe that feeds your auto fill. You can get a daily read on your water usage and learn your pools consumption rate. If you keep good notes, you'll be able to tell if you have a leak. Dial water meters (they come in plastic or brass) retail for about $60-$100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.