Albany, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
We're finally getting ready to build a deck for our radiant pool. Right now, we're considering 15' out from the pool and 18' wide. Considering the pool will eat into the deck, it will probably end up being 10' at the narrowest point. We're not planning on putting a table or using it to host huge parties. That's what the patio by the house is for. We want easy entry into the pool and a few chairs on the deck. Some day I'd like a patio between the pool and the fence. The deck would be on the right side of the pool in the picture that is looking into the woods behind our house. Thoughts? .
3d9fa5d36ebeb4a426fe60e123c2ee95.jpg
0fa5e1eda345791049682fb6cd515438.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in the same situation as you. Somebody told me to go as big as you possibly could afford. I listened, and decided to go all the way around. Best decision ever. Makes putting the cover on super easy, cleaning the pool is a breeze, vacuuming is easy, i never have to reach far, i can just walk around. I'd highly consider it. You have the room. You wont regret it.

I found some pics of mine i posted last year...

New Deck Build. Figured I'd post some pics....

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ At least go all the around with it being as wide as you want to start with. Make room for toy storage somewhere. NO one has ever said they wished they went smaller on a pool or deck LOL

Kim

I made my deck 3' wide on 3 sides of the pool and 12' on the long side. Dont regret it for one minute. Plenty of room for a table, umbrella, couple lounge chairs, basketball hoop, deck box, couple chairs, small table for radio, etc. You wont regret it....And in all honesty, its not that much more expensive to go all the way around.

Kris, your deck is huge! It looks like a lot of fun!

We can't go all the way around because of the town requirements. We had to get a variance to move it as close to the back property line as it is because moving it forward would have disrupted the property drainage. It's right on the edge of where we can build on the side.

Storage is a problem. We found that out last year.

Hello,
Looks like I'm going against the grain here but we didn't go around the pool and are glad we didn't. For us, going around the pool would have been a lot more work and a bit more expensive. It would have also blocked our view off the pool deck and made accessing the pool pad harder. I still created a side area for toy storage and such and the pools in use, kids use to jump into the deep end (feet first of course). It looks like you patio is relatively close to the pool, would putting a deck around the entire pool separate these two areas? Without the deck on the patio side, you may be able to sit on the patio, which looks to be shaded and still watch over the pool. Also, these two areas may be better able to interact when your entertaining. It's all about preference and how you plan to use the space. Here a picture of my setup I took this morning...

IMG_0362.jpg

Frank, you deck and view are amazing! I wouldn't want to obstruct that view with a railing. To make the best use of the lumber, we're going to go with 16'x20'. I'll have to get creative with the toy storage.

Some building codes require a railing for over a 20" deck height, hence probably the case here. Maybe not, but most likely. Your right about the view being obstructed, but sometimes you have little choice.

Frank, you deck and view are amazing! I wouldn't want to obstruct that view with a railing. To make the best use of the lumber, we're going to go with 16'x20'. I'll have to get creative with the toy storage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks 2kCougar. I think you'll like the larger deck. We didn't entertain a lot before adding the pool but once it was in, friends and family were over often. Having that space turned out to be a wise choice for us. Just make sure to leave some $$$ for a Margaritaville machine. Nothing like an ice cold Margarita by your pool on a hot summer day!

Matt,
Thanks for the ideas! We're going to be getting the same steps that you have. Our supplier recommended the camo marksman tool as well.

Frank,
I knew there was something I left out of the budget... the margarita maker! Love it! I've already picked up some silicone wine glasses but I've neglected the mixed drinks.

The camo tool is amazing. Takes a little longer, but well worth it. The steps have been a big hit, everyone loves them. I will tell you this, our local shop was selling them for 500, however I found them online for 350. So YMMV.

Also on the Marksman tool. Be sure to use the smallest spacer. My treated wood really shrunk up a good bit.

Matt,
Thanks for the tip on the tool. We're doing PVC decking so I won't have to worry about it shrinking.

Do you like the add-on portion of your step? Does it take up a lot of room. We have the same pool, 24' radiant. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but looking at your first picture, it looks like the steps would be a great place for little kids to sit.

Nice job. Would you please tell me how you plan to secure the winter cover? I'm in process of building my deck and wonder how to deal with the cover and skimmer access. I found some ideas, like collapsible round anchors (brass/SS), but they're expensive, around $10.00 ec. as far as the skimmer goes, what do you think of making a removable cover, like 2' x 2' of the same decking boards? Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.