How to maintain while on vacation?

Meaty

Sep 8, 2015
South West Florida
I've been thankful for this board and advice. By following the TFP method maintaining my pool has been easy and cheap. I'm about to go on a week long vacation and wonder how to maintain while I'm gone. My guess is I should raise up the chlorine level to ~10 so it'll stay relatively high until I get back.

is there a better option?

You're on the right track. Raise your FC up to (or close to) your SLAM level if you would like. That might buy you 2-3 days before it settles down close to your normal target level. This is also one of those rare times where we don't mind saying (use a couple tablets) - but don't say that too loudly. :) You can see what the effects of an 8 oz tablet will be on your chemistry (FC and CYA) by using the calculator (in my signature). Go to where it says "Side effects of using chemicals".

In summary though ... yes - raise FC (based on the CYA Chart shock level) and use a floater and you'll be fine. Have a nice trip.

The only other option ... if you have a reliable neighbor who can add a little bleach each day or two. :)

You're on the right track. Raise your FC up to (or close to) your SLAM level if you would like. That might buy you 2-3 days before it settles down close to your normal target level. This is also one of those rare times where we don't mind saying (use a couple tablets) - but don't say that too loudly. :) You can see what the effects of an 8 oz tablet will be on your chemistry (FC and CYA) by using the calculator (in my signature). Go to where it says "Side effects of using chemicals".

In summary though ... yes - raise FC (based on the CYA Chart shock level) and use a floater and you'll be fine. Have a nice trip.

The only other option ... if you have a reliable neighbor who can add a little bleach each day or two. :)

thanks! I use the pool math calculator but didn't realize that option was at the bottom. This site is an excellent resource!

thanks! I use the pool math calculator but didn't realize that option was at the bottom. This site is an excellent resource!

Just be aware of how long the tablets take to dissolve -- in theory about a week, but it can vary greatly based on where you place them (an inline feeder vs a floater and where the floater is, water currents, etc). When I tried using tablets for a week to test in preparation for a vacation, by the end they were only half gone, meaning they weren't adding as much FC per day as I hoped. I ended up having a friend who was going to be at the house anyway dump a gallon of chlorine in a couple of times instead (but I had to calculate when carefully because his family used the pool a few times, so I didn't want to go too high). For this summer I'm getting either a Stenner or an SWCG to automate.

Meaty,

I'm semi-retired so I travel on consulting trips about 5 days or so. To deal with that I scrub the pool thoroughly then take FC close to Slam level (10-12 FC in my case). I also take the pH to the low end of the range since my pool drifts up each week. When I get home, usually in the evening I test then balance. Usually 20 oz MA and 64 oz 10.5% bleach, it's a little variable where I live due to rain amounts. For me 1 week trips don't need any tablets. For 2 week trip I do the same plus put 3 tablets in the chlorinator and set it to half-range (about 3 1/2 on mine). When I get home I have a small piece of trichlor in the bottom of the tube. These are quantities for my pool, my location. Yours will certainly be different but this can be a reference point as you get your situation dialed in.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.