Pool Shell Mis-Measurement

Nov 15, 2015
FL
Hello there TFPers. Long time lurker, first time poster and pool owner. Quickly to the point, and I will maybe provide pictures of entire build later.

There was a mis-measurement in our pool shell construction that did not make itself apparent until the coping was installed. This mis-measurement resulted in a supposed right angle in the pool construction, not being square.

Pool Construction is complete now, of course pool builder claimed they couldn't even notice it. We have not yet remitted final payment, we just filled the pool Monday 3/7.

What advice do you have, as a group, on this matter? Is this just something one must accept as acceptable wiggle room in construction, or should a big deal be made of this? I was advised by the pool builders sub, that "they aren't building a piano here". Please offer your opinions.

Picutres attached, Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpg
    IMG_3232.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 221
I have a rectangular pool. When they were here to spray it out and do the dig, they spent a LONG time measuring because my PB said with geometric shapes you have to get them perfect. They spent 1/2hour just working out a 3/8" difference.
I'm grateful for their care in making sure everything is square and plumb.

You should definitely not just accept the way they did this, in my opinion. You paid a lot of money for a quality job and this is just sloppy measuring.
What you should do about it, I don't know. If it were me, that difference shown in the pictures would bug me greatly. I guess it all depends on whether or not you can live with looking at it like that every day.

How much is it off? 1/2 inch? 1/4 inch? Most residential pools are within a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of square after plaster. It looks like yours is also. You are talking about a cut in which makes it much more difficult to square up the pool. Frankly in a battle in court you would lose. That is within industry standards. I doubt most pool builders and gunite crews could get it better than what you have. In Florida with all the heat and humidity I doubt one could get it better than that. Its not getting it perfect, its getting it built so it looks perfect.

I would tell them to redo the coping and the pavers to make the problem less noticeable. That is where the problem is. There are several ways to fix that so you would not see it. The gunite sub is supposed to get it square and the plaster sub will try and make it better if they can. But the cut in makes it very very difficult to square up in the field.

Which sub made the piano comment? The pavers sub?

Thank you all for replying. It was the coping contractor, that made the comment about accepting some deviation. Frankly, the rest of the build went so well, it's a shame that this eye catching discrepancy occurred.

So the question really is; am I within my rights as a consumer to demand/request/expect anything of/from the builder, or am I simply at their mercy?

Thanks for your frank response gwegan. If I am being overly picky, I would like to be told that honestly as well, it just sucks paying out the nose for a project and it not coming out perfectly.

Agree with everyone here... This can be fixed with cutting the coping to appear straight

Just as a curiosity, where in Florida are you? So am I. I love the color of your water, what did you use? and congratulations on your new pool, after you get this done it will be like it never happened and you'll enjoy your pool for years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would leave it alone. You have a nice looking tile job and I had to look three times at the picture to see what you are talking about. If you demand perfection, your tile guy may walk away and your dealings with PB can quickly become acrimonious. Be careful what you wish for.

I know I sound harsh but I am familiar with pool construction and particularly laying tile........I would say that work was acceptable.

Duraleigh, I thought it was my old eyes that couldn't see it! Well, maybe it is (ha!), but without seeing a picture of the whole pool or at least more of the area to see how it looks overall, I would agree with you.

Marla (who had her tile people recut a mitered corner because the joint wasn't straight)

I disagree. Now that you know it is there, it will be a constant sore spot with you for the life of the pool. Either get them to fix it or pay to have someone else fix it, but save yourself the ongoing aggravation and get it fixed.

I could see it but had to look. I'm OCD and a big mistake would bother me but the pictures didn't show enough of the pool to fully see the problem. Can you post a picture from a wider angle and a more distant look at the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Big D., call it a quirk and enjoy the quality stone work - if slightly out of square (honestly I barely see it). It could be fixed perhaps but you know what you have now.

yep that would bug me, I am also OCD, but then sometimes the fix causes more issues. I have the same type of issues like that. some we are fixing some I am just going to deal with. The sad truth is it's really hard to find quality contractors, and it's nearly impossible to find quality contractors who are also OCD about the details. If it bothers you inquire about the fix. If they can do it without causing other damage then go for it. Sometimes it's just easier to live with it if you are going to open a can of worms. Our build has run into a lot of issues, some we had fixed, other I will just have to ignore and have another drink, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.