Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Drained some rain from the pool today. Turned off pump and put valve back to filter. Happen to glance out at the pool 2 hours later... down 6" ? Took valve cover off, sure enough loose gasket. I used blue marine grade silicone a year ago. Went to pool place, they said to use black pool goo... Going to try to repair, but it's 8 years old and gasket replaced once. New valve is like $150 (if I do it). Think it's wise to change it out? Or just order a new gasket (if old one fails again)? Pool guy thought existing gasket was in good shape and should work with proper glue, as long as I can get old cleaned out. What's black pool goo? He said he didn't have any but would call me when one of his trucks returned.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would think as long as the value itself is still in good condition, change the gasket. At the very least, it's only about $20 give or take right? As for the gasket moving, pool owners have tried various glues, adhesives, and silicones. I've never used the Black Pool Goo myself, but this video How to Replace a Spider Gasket on a Multiport Valve - INYOPools.com
illustrates using a type of lock-tight sparingly to help keep the gasket in place. You can also find many other discussions about spider gasket repair by doing a search at the top-right on the page.

Hope you get it resolved soon. We needed that rain. :)

Thanks. I was going to pick up some 08008 black Weatherstrip adhesive since that's what they have nearby. I think it's the 3m equivalent to the 81731 mentioned in that link. Need to wait for the rain to stop. Going for the quick fix first. I may buy the valve as a spare and change it out next time the gasket fails. Looks like a pain changing the valve out, too many short (non-threaded) connections.

Decided to buy the new spider gasket from the local store, but after I got home and looked closer at it I decided it was either used or on their shelf for 20 years. If bent all the rubber had small cracks. I can bend and stretch my old one, no cracking at all. Took it back, going to install my old one. Tested the 08008 glue on some pvc, bonds well. Now, stop raining!

You would think the local store would be better than that. That stinks. Well, I hope you were able to salvage the old one. If not, check back with us. I'm sure some folks here have other on-line resources for products that have treated them well. Stay dry!

Was dry for 15 minutes today. Gooey glue, but think I got it. Will know tomorrow. I also ordered a new 7 way valve just in case. Was $103 on EBay (from same supplier on Amazon). Preplumbed with fittings! Will be a good back up for next issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.