Should I go ahead and open?

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
Well, my five month hibernation from all things related to the pool is over. I live in extreme S. Indiana (within a few miles of the KY state line). Normally by March the winter is over- I have seen snow in April maybe 2-3 times in the last 20 years (and it doesn't stick).

My pool is covered and I used all the recommended chemicals when closing- *Polyquat, etc. If anything, my FC was probably higher than recommended- I tend to go to extremes.

Here is our temperature fore cast for the next 15 days:

Highs from 58 to 79
Lows from 41 to 60

I do not want to have an algae problem; however, I do not want to open too early in order to save some money and maintenance (I get volunteered to vacuum).

Should I open now due to the high temps. Preferably I would open April 1st. My wife and daughter are wanting it opened up now so they can lay out beside a clear pool and not a dirty cover :)

Thanks,
Darren

***Edited out Baquacil and changed to Polyquat.

Last edited:
Go by your actual pool water temperature. Open before the water temperature gets to 60 F for less chances of spring algae bloom. Throw a pool thermometer in the water and use that as a guide to when you should open. If you uncover the pool, it will likely get warmer sooner, especially if you have sunny days and the nights don't cool down too much.

The pool is Baquacil sanitation? :suspect:

Phew! No baquacil headache. :cool:

Water temp is the best indicator of when to open. The 60 degree recommendation is because algae does not grow much at all below 60. Once you get above 60 it does and then grows faster as the temp goes up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.