Pool Cover motor rope tangled

bhubb

Jan 4, 2016
KS
Are there any tricks or hints to untangle the rope on the pool cover? It is on a rail system and I closed the cover and right before it completely closed the rope tangled up. I looked at it briefly and it is a big mess but wondering before I attempt to fix it if there are any hints or tips?

Thanks

It is possible that one of the ropes broke and the tension caused the rope to snap back through the track and bunch up in the box.
I would have the cover completely closed then slowly untangle the rope and take it all off the spool. I would detach it from the system then make sure that it is not twisted. Once that is done you can open the cover and then reattach the ropes.

If you can provide any more information about the cover like make and model and maybe some pictures I could give you more information.

It is possible that one of the ropes broke and the tension caused the rope to snap back through the track and bunch up in the box.
I would have the cover completely closed then slowly untangle the rope and take it all off the spool. I would detach it from the system then make sure that it is not twisted. Once that is done you can open the cover and then reattach the ropes.

If you can provide any more information about the cover like make and model and maybe some pictures I could give you more information.

thanks for the info. I did not see a break but I will dig deeper into it tonight and maybe get some pictures of stuff to better explain the mess I have on my hands right now.

ok I got the rope all untangled and rerolled properly but it appears the cover is not on the roll. When I cover or undercover it spins but the cover is not attached (however it attaches) and nothing happens, opening or closing. Any advice on this point or probably a service call? It is opening time so I am finding a lot of companies do not want to waste their time on these small jobs, which is odd because they will lead to big jobs... eventually

That happened to me on opening two years ago, my cover closed ok but then was stuck closed. My ropes didn't get tangled like yours did, although I'm not sure how with the motor turning without the cover moving. What happened to me is the drum end of the spool that was attached to the motor rusted clean through (Heavy gauged aluminum) and snapped in two disconnecting the motor from the spool. I had to have both drum ends replaced. It looks like parts cost was just over half the cost of the job, I was afraid of messing up the autocover so I had them do the work.

It is very possible that there is a part that has rusted. If you were able to upload some pics or a video I could trouble shoot it for you a little better.

- - - Updated - - -

if you pull the cover off the roll tube is it attached? When you run the cover what can you see running, is the motor spinning, is the roll tube the cover is attached to spinning?when you run the cover to close does the rope reel move at all?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never use Stainless Steel cable for any pool cover. I have personally done a lot of research on this as well as having spent a lot of time with a top companies R&D department to see if this would work. There have been a couple companies in the past that have tried this and all have gone out of business. I have been able to personally inspect these systems and there are too many problems to make it really work. There is a lot of aluminum used in pool covers and the stainless steel tears it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.