Tannins Tannins Everywhere!

DLO

May 28, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Greetings all! I hope everyone had a great off-season.

We had a auto cover installed last year, but used the mesh cover for this past winter because the liner was diagnosed with multiple holes. I didn't want to risk having the water level drop and subject our new $10K cover to snow weight. Anywho... the mesh cover was installed a few weeks after the pool was closed and in that time accumulated quite a lot of black walnut leaves. I wasn't concerned about it at the time because we were planning on installing a new liner for the upcoming season. I noticed there wasn't hardly any water loss over the fall/winter/early spring so I'm going to attempt to use the old liner for one more season. The problem I have is tannins. The pool water resembles a 40,000gal cup of coffee. Besides vacuuming the leaves, what's the best way to clear tannins left in the water from the leaves? Thanks all!

Bleach. Lots of Bleach. :wink: After you do the normal shock process, and the FC is holding overnight, you'll probably want to run with a higher level of FC say 2ppm over your normal level for a while, and in time any residual stains on the liner should fade as well, if any.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.