Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
Has anybody with kids regretted going with a more shallow pool depth? Why or why not? We're going with a modified sport pool but I'm suddenly second guessing. Can you still toss your kids around in a more shallow depth? Play chicken (is that what the shoulder wrestling game is called), etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not thus far. My first pool (above ground) was 52 inches deep I believe. I now have an in ground and max depth is 6.5 feet. The 48 inch was fine for throwing the kids up in the air. Once they are big enough to land hard I won't be able to lift them anyway. I as an adult would hit the bottom doing cannon balls when jumping in with the kids from the deck though. As for chicken fights it's not an issue (at least at 48 inches) since you're only falling a foot, two max. At 6.5 feet it's not an issue at all. How deep were you thinking of going?

5' max. That's pretty deep for me since I'm only 4'9" but I want it to be okay for my husband throwing the kids around too and hems 5'9". Kids are almost 7 year old boys and a teenage girl. Only one dare devil in the bunch.

Our pool goes from 3.5 to about 7' (more like 6.5 when at at skimmer level). I have two 17-yr old boys who bring their friends over from time to time. They all jump-in from the sides no problem from the middle on-back towards the deeper end. No diving board and not close enough to any fixed objects (i.e. house roof) to worry about craziness. :) They know better than to do anything silly on the shallow end. As for chicken fights and games .... well, just look at the smile on my boy's face.

We don't have kids but we have kids here a lot. Honestly I think the sports depth (we have) is awesome. You can have chicken fights and you aren't drowning with your head under water. Kids have been thrown - yes thrown, over the volleyball net. Tons of cannonballs, never hit bottom. No diving but we wouldn't allow it regardless of depth (for liability issues) I have no regrets. But honestly you will love whatever you decide on!!!

We don't have kids but we have kids here a lot. Honestly I think the sports depth (we have) is awesome. You can have chicken fights and you aren't drowning with your head under water. Kids have been thrown - yes thrown, over the volleyball net. Tons of cannonballs, never hit bottom. No diving but we wouldn't allow it regardless of depth (for liability issues) I have no regrets. But honestly you will love whatever you decide on!!!

What is your depth again?

What is your depth again?

Not Wendy, but answering for her, it's in her signature: 33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6")

Our kids are older, but the way I figured, we will have the tanning ledge, a spa, steps and two benches, so it seems plenty of options for shallow water. The main part of our pool will be 4'-5'. 3 1/2' just seems too low

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, I have a 3.5,5,4 depth. If I had it to do again, the only change I would make is 4,5,4. The 3.5 is just a little too shallow. I never understood a 6 ft depth in a play/sports pool. It's too deep to stand and too shallow to dive. But we all have our preferences.

Reactions: Cammie
I agree 3.5 ft standard shallow end is too shallow, sure it is great for small kids that can't swim, but if you have a pool and they are your kids they will learn to swim like a fish within a few months, and is it really worth being crippled by the limits of a 3.5 ft shallow end for something your kids will outgrow soon. At most I would with with a small 3.5 ft deep ledge then a deeper shallow end.

Note this is coming from someone with a 3.5 ft shallow end that has considered digging it out to make it deeper

If I did a sports pool it would be 4-5-4 without a doubt. The 4 makes it nice to swim laps as 3.5 gets a bit shallow for flip turns. Any pool deeper than 5 is too deep to play in for 99% of people and I wouldn't call it a sports pool. If you go deeper than 5 I would go at least 8 deep for an area to jump in.

Not Wendy, but answering for her, it's in her signature: 33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6")

Our kids are older, but the way I figured, we will have the tanning ledge, a spa, steps and two benches, so it seems plenty of options for shallow water. The main part of our pool will be 4'-5'. 3 1/2' just seems too low

Thanks! For some reason I can't see signatures unless I'm on the computer. They don't show up when I'm on my phone in Tapatalk and that's what I'm usually on.

The 3.5' depth we're considering is more for me. I'm only 4'9" and I will need to do physical therapy in the pool. I don't my head to be the only part above water. We are doing a 4' depth in the spa though so my underwater treadmill will fit.

Maybe I need to get out the tape measure and check 3'6" against myself and my husband. Hmm...

Thanks Mamiamjo!

I think 4-5-4 would be good. Ours seemed to work better with the way our tanning ledge and steps are situated - to start at 3.6 - I can't remember - but it seems like when we decided - it had something to do with the steps and how far out they would go - but its hard to remember all the details now.

I just measured. 3'6" is about the same height as my twins but comes up to chest height on me. 4' was just under my chin. I'm afraid I won't enjoy that and I definitely wouldn't be able to be on bottom playing chicken with my kids.

What is the ideal location for shallow water to come up on your body and really enjoy the depth do you think?

I'm 4'10" We went with 3.6/5.6/4
Since the pool is only 30 ft long the majority of it is actually closer to 4-4.6 with just the very middle and the very end on one side being 5.6 and 3.6 respectively due to the slope. I went 5.6 for the middle as it gives everyone a safer area to cannonball off the bubbler shelf which I imagine will happen quite frequently

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.