how many hours should pump and filter run

Just wanted some opinions from the group.........How many hours a days should my pool pump and filter run. I live in texas so we are starting to get 80 degree days now, and sun hits my pool maybe 7-8 hours a day, more during the heat of the summer. If I dont have enough information in my signature, please ask me and I'll report back. Right now it is running about 7 hours, I have a little algea clinging to my rock and around returns, etc but not much. I will be testing with my new TF100 as soon as it arrives which should be about 1-2 days from now.

The amount of pump run time required varies dramatically depending on the relative size of your pump and your pool. If I saw correctly, you have a 1.5 HP WhisperFlo and a 20,000 gallon pool. That is a relatively large pump for that pool, so you probably only need 4 to 6 hours a day.

The real test is to look at the water closely and notice how clear it is. Then adjust the run time and let it run that way for a week. Then look at the water again and adjust the run time based on what you see.

Ther's no set answer but 8-10 hours is a good place to start. Then, if you feel like your pool is not as clean as you like, if you're expecting more swimmers (or less swimmers), etc. you can adjust it upwards or down.

If it is sparkling and pristine all the time, you can adjust it downward until you find a run time that works best for you.

The demands on your pool are fluid so you should be prepared to adjust your runtimes.

I have a 2 HP WhisperFlo and a pool that is half the size of yours. I'll run it four hours a day in the morning, more than I would need to I am sure, but I like it skimming the surface since my wax myrtles dump leaves in there year round. Aside from that, I always run it when swimmers are in the pool to just keep things nice.

Given the above time frames, is it better to run the pump overnight or during the day. right now we run 24/7 and we probably don't need to.....

I think it is a good idea to time it to coincide with the addition of chemicals since those need to circulate. I usually add them in the morning (most do so in the late afternoon, I think) as that is the best time for me to deal with the pool at my house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.