New pool water loss

Mar 8, 2016
Tampa
Good morning.

Most of the construction of our new in ground pool is finished, finally. Sunday night the pool finished filling with water, and this morning, Tuesday, I noticed that the water level is down about 2 inches. The equipment has not been started up yet, and I was wondering if that kind of loss is normal for a new pool thats just been filled, and yet to get started pumping.

Thanks in advance,

Sug

Do you have an autofill line? I read on here one time about someone's autofill having a leak. Since this isn't plumbed with the rest of the pipes, it doesn't get pressure tested to rule out leaks. I hope whatever it is is an easy fix. It doesn't seem like you should be losing water.

Does not sound normal to me, make sure you keep the water level above the tile so you don't develop a line on the plaster (assuming the pool is plaster) and call the builder. Leaks in new pools is rare but it does happen I have seen at least one thread that turned out to be a grout line at the skimmer so it does not take much to create a leak luckily it can also be an easy fix fingers crossed. What kind of pool is it? Any leak can be a pain to find.

Does not sound normal to me, make sure you keep the water level above the tile so you don't develop a line on the plaster (assuming the pool is plaster) and call the builder. Leaks in new pools is rare but it does happen I have seen at least one thread that turned out to be a grout line at the skimmer so it does not take much to create a leak luckily it can also be an easy fix fingers crossed. What kind of pool is it? Any leak can be a pain to find.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not 100% how to answer, as I'm still pretty new to owning a pool, but the finish is pebble tec. That part was just completed on Saturday.
In your opinion, I should keep adding water for now to get it back up, correct?
Ive attached a photo of the pollen line as well as the pool.

Sug

uploadfromtaptalk1457445598621.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457445603512.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you have an overfill drain? If so, if it was overfilled it will drain down to normal level. I have one on the side of my pool and I've forgotten to turn the water off after tapping off and it drains down a couple of inches to normal level.

Yup in general terms plaster is synominous for any brand of quartz/plaster finish. You want to keep the water above the bottom of the tile, it's not good for it to be dry for long periods of time ideally should be submerged all the time and if the water does go below the tile for several hours you run the risk of developing a white ring in the pebble finish this can happen epically fast in a new finish. If it does happen an acid wash can sometimes reduce or remove the stain but is better to not let it happen in the first place. Nice color by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Good though from Smforte, correct level should be approximately middle of the tile give or take 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Thank you for the replies. Hopefully I will hear from the pool company soon. They're really terrible with communication. It actually wouldn't surprise me if there is one more set back.
The pool is beautiful, and they've done a great job, it's just the little things.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

No, it is definitely not normal to lose 2" of water in a couple of days. Keeping the water level at the center of the tile is the right answer. And definitely keep it above the tile line at all times.

If you are interested in maintaining your own pool start here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If you want to add your pool info to your signature here is more info on that, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.