CH increaser and Calcium Hypochlorite question

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
I need to bump up my CH from 160 to 250 and while pondering the pool calculator it occured to me that I could use Calcium hypochlorite to keep the chlorine up to shock level and at the same time raise the CH - is that a correct assumption?

FC 10
PH 7.2
TA 70
CH 160
CYA 60

Thank you!

Yes, using cal-hypo when you need to raise the CH level can work very well. Just keep in mind that you need to keep track of both the amount of chlorine you are adding and the amount of calcium you are adding and not add too much of either one.

For cal-hypo, the ratio is every 10ppm FC also adds 7ppm CH.

You wanted to add 90ppm CH, 90/7=~13, so this would require about 130ppm FC worth of cal-hypo. If your pool uses, say, 2ppm FC per day, then it would take about two months of cal-hypo use to bring up your CH.

Up to you whether that's okay.
--paulr

Cal-Hypo comes in different strengths, typically 48%, 65% or 73%. These strengths are also roughly the % Available Chlorine. The rest is a combination of salt and excess lye (calcium based), not CYA. Generally, Cal-Hypo adds less salt for the same Free Chlorine (FC) as bleach or chlorinating liquid, but of course Cal-Hypo raises the Calcium Hardness (CH).

PaulR said:

This is true in a strictly chemical sense, however do keep in mind that if you're going to add, say two scoops of cal-hypo to get your 10 ppm FC, the actual increase in calcium hardness will probably be more than 7 ppm because of the inert ingredients in the formulation. In my experience, the cheap 47% stuff adds quite a bit more than 7 ppm CH per 10 ppm FC.

CaOCl2 said:
PaulR said:

This is true in a strictly chemical sense, however do keep in mind that if you're going to add, say two scoops of cal-hypo to get your 10 ppm FC, the actual increase in calcium hardness will probably be more than 7 ppm because of the inert ingredients in the formulation. In my experience, the cheap 47% stuff adds quite a bit more than 7 ppm CH per 10 ppm FC.
This is true. Though most of the inert ingredients are regular salt (sodium chloride), there is also calcium chloride, calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate and calcium chlorate all of which would increase Calcium Hardness (CH). Do you have such a < 50% Cal-Hypo product and does it list the amount of these inert ingredients individually? I found MSDS for more concentrated products, but not for ones with < 50% Calcium Hypochlorite.

Richard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interestingly, this Cal-Hypo 47.6% product contains mostly magnesium sulfate heptahydrate as its main "filler" ingredient. There is also standard salt (sodium chloride) and some amount of calcium salts but this product probably won't add more calcium per FC than other stronger Cal-Hypo products. It will, however, increase magnesium, which is not a big deal, and sulfate, which might be an issue accelerating corrosion of stainless steel in salt pools if it got very high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.