Radiant Metric 24' Round IG DIY Install - Am I Crazy?

My wife and I have been discussing installing a pool for years now. I have been going back and forth on whether I should do it myself or hire it done. I am pretty handy with basic construction, plumbing, and electrical. The one thing I'm a little worried about is the excavation. We are planning to install Radiant Metric 24' round pool with concrete deck, so the the hole should be pretty straight forward (28ft diameter, 4ft deep, flat bottom). After install, I will have someone come in and poor the concrete deck. A local PB quoted me at $6400 for just the pool kit (not sure if that includes pump, filter, etc.). Am I crazy for wanting to attempt this myself? By the way, I'm a teacher, so I'm off for 2 months in the summer.

Experience

Construction: 2 wood privacy fences, 2 - 10 x 10 wood storage sheds (from kits), 2 decks, 1 wood playset (from kit)

Plumbing: Multiple bathroom and kitchen remodels, plumbing repair/replacement 400GL Hot tub

Electrical: wired new lighting fixtures/switches, installed/wired 220V Hot tub, replaced computer control box in hot tub.

Excavation: I ran a SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator) Truck in the Army a few times many years back, but I was digging trash pits that didn't have to be very accurate.

You'd have to see what the install charge is. I don't think so personally. You can certainly do it but enjoy your vacation. You'll be working harder at home than at work. Treat yourself! :)

You need to consider that you'll need to rent a laser level, mechanical tamper, and possibly a sod cutter at the least. Is the ground flat? Seeing my first pool go in (27' ag) I was glad I spent the money to have it done. They will have it done a day (unless you have a steep slope which I did but then it was only 1.5 days).

You'd have to see what the install charge is. I don't think so personally. You can certainly do it but enjoy your vacation. You'll be working harder at home than at work. Treat yourself! :)

You need to consider that you'll need to rent a laser level, mechanical tamper, and possibly a sod cutter at the least. Is the ground flat? Seeing my first pool go in (27' ag) I was glad I spent the money to have it done. They will have it done a day (unless you have a steep slope which I did but then it was only 1.5 days).

This will likely be an inground or semi-inground install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.