AG pump. Can the piping rise above the return line?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
I'm trying to determine where to place all my plumbing for the pump and swg I have. The flow piping of the pool pilot swg may go well above the return line in the line. I don't know if this is a rule that shouldn't be broken. I know AG pumps aren't that strong to begin with, so it may need to be lower than the return.

Here is how it would look. A diagram would be best, but I don't have those capabilities.

From the skimmer, straight down and 90 about 5 ft away to pump. Directly connected from pump to cartridge filter. Out from filter and 90 UP back over the pump/filter combo (which are very tall btw) with another 90. Then the flow piping of the swg. Then back down next to the original pump location again. Straight back across the floor to 5 ft away from the original skimmer location to the return. Of course when I got there, I would have to go up with another 90. All this would be 5 - 9 feet away from the pool edge.

So, at the highest point in the run, it would be higher than the return line. Is this acceptable?

It's an 8000g AG round pool with 1.5 hp 2-sp pump, with pool pilot swg, 2" pvc.That's it, nothing else connected to it.

If it does technically "work", will I be wasting a lot of energy because of it? If so, I may still want to change it a bit.

The location I have would make it too far away from the return if I run it in a straight line. I would like to keep everything within a 6 ft area. I mounted a wp piece of plywood 6ft wide X 5ft high and wanted to contain everything to that area.

I need the pump, filter, swg flow piping, pool pilot controller, and digital, 15 gallon acid tank, timer, receptacle, receptacle, flow guage somewhere in that mix. All in that 6ft X 5 ft plywood. Hopefully 2ft deep or so. I will be putting a small roof on the plywood to keep sunlight and rain off the equipment. I know it's not neccessary, but I still want to keep things from fading in the sunlight and getting wet if I can. The roof will be on a hing that I can lift up in case I need to do so. It will only be 2+ feet long. Possibly made of a pvc type fencing. I will have lattice on the side of the structure, so air can still circulate but it will block the view from the side.

I have some ideas about the piping configuration, and that was one of them. I'll keep at it until I get the right mix. I need the pool pilot and pump receptacle to be 10ft away, while still keeping the pump 5 or so ft away. So this 6ft wide plywood is from 5-11ft from the pool. I'd like to get everything on there from left to right in the 4 quadrants of the plywood.

I'd love to post a diagram. Maybe I'll post a pic when finished. But that would defeat the purpose of this thread. lol. thanks for the reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.