Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione Dihydrate - on stand alone Spa

Sep 22, 2014
San Ramon, CA. 94582
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 500 gal stand alone spa and been using Leisure Time Spa-56 (Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione Dihydrate -99%). Does this chlorine type add CYA? It seems over time, after replacing the water, I need to add more and more chlorine to the water leaving me to suspect the water is accumulating too much CYA. And by the way, the spa dealer tells me not to worry about water hardness for Spa's especially if I get water from the city. Thanks.

I would strongly suggest reviewing these two items: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool and How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

The chemical you're using is commonly known as dichlor. It certainly will add CYA to your spa. Roughly 9 ppm of CYA per 10 ppm FC added, if I am recalling correctly, so it will very quickly elevate your CYA. Once your CYA is too high, you need unpractical levels of FC to maintain proper sanitation. See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Hardness is typically not a concern for spas especially with city water that tends to have moderate levels of hardness. ~100-300 ppm. Fiberglass spas are not sensitive to low CH like plaster pools although very low CH may cause excessive bubbles or foaming. If you're not seeing foaming (in a properly sanitized spa) your CH is fine. Very high CH could cause scaling at the water line.

I would strongly suggest reviewing these two items: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool and How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

The chemical you're using is commonly known as dichlor. It certainly will add CYA to your spa. Roughly 9 ppm of CYA per 10 ppm FC added, if I am recalling correctly, so it will very quickly elevate your CYA. Once your CYA is too high, you need unpractical levels of FC to maintain proper sanitation. See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Hardness is typically not a concern for spas especially with city water that tends to have moderate levels of hardness. ~100-300 ppm. Fiberglass spas are not sensitive to low CH like plaster pools although very low CH may cause excessive bubbles or foaming. If you're not seeing foaming (in a properly sanitized spa) your CH is fine. Very high CH could cause scaling at the water line.

Thanks JVTrain - I started using BBB on my swimming pool for about 1-1/2 years now (pool is about 3 years old) and so far the pool is looking good (thanks mostly to chem geek). I've always taken care of our Spa using Leisure Time chemicals and method, but the drought in California and the changes in water sources for our City had caused some weird effects on the spa (pool too, but I am able to keep that under control). I'll read up on the link for the spa you mentioned above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.