Hello from 93mastercraft

Apr 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I stumbled across this forum after searching for pool care and chemical advise. I've always loved the forum mode of gathering information. What better place to get information than from others who are interested in the same things you are.

We purchased our first AGP last year. We decided to go with a AGP because obviously the cost and we had issues with space and a septic system. We had never thought about getting a pool until we were on vacation and swimming in the resort pool last year. We have twin 6 year olds and last year, though they were 5, they've had swimming lessons since they were 3. Both of them were affraid to put their head under water and to go further to the deep end than their height.

I got frustrated with my son and my wife questioned me about that. I told her that I was able to swim like a fish since I was 5 myself. Then she said, well didn't you have a pool you could go to every day, I was like yeah, I had a neighborhood pool. MY mother made sure I was there everyday in the summer. Then it hit me, I need to get a pool so that my kids have access to swim when they want to . That's exacly what I did. Now only after a season of having the pool, the kids have learned to swim very well, they go under water, swim from one end to the other and I wouldn't hesitate to let them around water at any time.

We still don't let them swim unsupervised, and don't plan to for a lonf time, but I know and they know they both can swim now. I think that each and every kid should know how to swim. It should be made law! :lol:

Welcome to TFP! :-D

Our 3.5 year old daughter is pretty leary about getting in the water. We even went so far as to get her a PFD where she could just bob up and down in the pool and splash without worrying about flipping over. Swimming lessons are coming next month though. Mostly, she likes to sit on the sun shelf anad splash. She just wants to be wet. But I know that I will feel much better about things when she can show me that she can tread water and maneuver herself around in water.