Converting outdoor pool from bromine to chlorine

hughR

Jun 8, 2008
France
Last year I posted about my problem of wanting to convert to chlorine an outdoor bromine pool that had full sun. Had interesting replies (thanks to you all) but the final, unanswered question was this...

'If I now add chlorine shock AND chlorine tablets to the feeder, I'm wondering if, in time, I'd convert it to chlorine - or if not (if it stayed as bromine) would it be easier to control with the chlorine tablets, rather than with the more expensive and huge bromine needs?'

Well, eight months later, through a very sunny winter here in southern France, I've been doing just that. I have added no bromine, only chlorine - when I shock with normal, undramatic levels of shock, up go the levels to around 8ppm - without shock down they go two days later to around 0.5ppm. So what if I continue to refuse to use bromine and keep this regime?!

I know the answer is really to empty the pool and start again with chlorine, but the problem with that is the water goes straight into the neighbours vineyard - not a pretty site! Any ideas out there?

Re: What would happen if...?!

I think eventually your bromine reserve (that you continue to "reactivate" with the chlorine) will drop over time, if you aren't replenishing it. What I don't know is how long it will take before the bromine reserve is used up....hopefully someone with more expertise will comment shortly.

You might get more response with a different title like "converting outdoor bromine pool to chlorine" or something. Just a thought. :)

If you used bromine tablets (with dimethylhydantion) then the only way to convert would be to drain. If you only used inorganic sodium bromide and an oxidizer (not common in pools) then it will take a few weeks to convert.

Thanks waterbear. It was the former (tablets). So can I continue to use bleach to shock without anything else (as you say the bromine will remain....for ever and ever??) or do I go back to the regime of using a large amount of bromine tablets plus, fairly often, bleach to shock. That method soon gets expensive!

hughR said:
Thanks waterbear. It was the former (tablets). So can I continue to use bleach to shock without anything else (as you say the bromine will remain....for ever and ever??) or do I go back to the regime of using a large amount of bromine tablets plus, fairly often, bleach to shock. That method soon gets expensive!
What it means it that even if you keep using chorine you will be converting it to bromine and will not be able to properly stabilize the chlorine against UV loss (which is the main reason to switch). I would suggest keeping with the bromine until you figure out a way to drain and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.