white spots in pool

Re: Could my beautiful pebble finish be RUINED after an acid wash???

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have the white spots on the bottom of my pool in a few places and was thinking about getting the wire brush after them, any suggestions?

Sorry you haven't received a reply earlier Badag98. This could be a tough one to answer. If we were to assume these are calcium spots or deposits, and they are only just now appearing from the winter, you may have success scrubbing them as you would hope they wouldn't be too thick or require aggressive treatment. If it were something related specifically to the plaster itself, or the base underneath, that could be another matter. I don't recall ... how old is the plaster in your pool? You might also want to post a full set of test results just so we can all get an assessment of what your levels are typically like and give us more to go on.

My pool is almost a year old and the spots are within the last few months. I am coming off a slam so my numbers are still a bit skewed:

Before the slam:
FC-7.5
CC-0.5
CH-250
TA-130
PH-7.8
CYA-70

Last reading my FC was at 20 and that was last night.

It is possible that it is calcium scale. Enter your numbers in Poolmath and review your CSI score, be sure to enter the water temp. Tweak the PH and TA to get it to be negative. Like -0.3 or -0.4. Monitor it and keep it there and brush the pool regularly. I would say daily but that is too much like work! :) It could take a while, few months, to dissolve the scale. After you are happy with your pool surface then keep your CSI -0.1 to -0.2.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

And here,
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the texture different? Like rougher where it is lighter? Given your lowish CH, I would doubt calcium scaling.

Almost looks like mottling that is typical in darker colored pools just from the way the surface was installed.

I have a TF-100, and yes I dropped my TA quite a bit in the last few months as part of a test and it has worked.

I have a rather lager spill way from spa to pool and the aeration was causing pH to climb daily and I was having to add acid all the time. I dropped the TA down so see if it would help with the higher PH, and PH rise seems to have slowed, only have to add acid every second or third day and only 12 oz at a time instead of half a gallon every day.

I have a TF-100, and yes I dropped my TA quite a bit in the last few months as part of a test and it has worked.

I have a rather lager spill way from spa to pool and the aeration was causing pH to climb daily and I was having to add acid all the time. I dropped the TA down so see if it would help with the higher PH, and PH rise seems to have slowed, only have to add acid every second or third day and only 12 oz at a time instead of half a gallon every day.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the posts were a few weeks apart. Just wanted to make sure you were on track!

I think I figured this out finally, pics to white spots below.

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/badag98/library/

Numbers from Yesterday:
FC- 5.5
PH: 7.6
CYA: 60
TA: 90
CH: 225

You are getting closer on the pic. Open the pic in PB, copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in the thread and it will embed it in the pic like this,

btw, there is something weird in your pool! :-D

Since this plaster pool is less than a year old, and if the white areas or spots are smooth, you may want to read this post and the information regarding dark color plaster turning white over time: Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

I suggest you try using wet and dry sandpaper (100 grit) to see if the white spots can be easily removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.