New to pools- just bought USED Intex 18'x9'x52" making list...

Mar 6, 2016
Medford
Hello all,
I'm new to pools, truth be known I put off having a pool for sometime due to what I've heard about the maintenance and cost. Now that we have adopted kids that we had been fostering, it's only right that they deserve to have a pool. So without spending too much money, we looked into the Intex pools and found a used 18'x9'x52" pool on Craig's list at a good price that looked well taken care of that also came with an oversized solar cover, while it's off season. So now I've been trying to educate myself and see what all I need as far as upgrades/add-ons to get the best out of this pool for our money. I've come across a lot of people recommending TFP to help me. One in particular person was jsf0656 (from tube). He along with others had great suggestions about upgrades/addons. Without seeming like a copycat, jsf0656 has a setup I'd like to do (including the little play slide off a small deck eventually). I already have in my Amazon wish list:

> 7000gal salt generator Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28667 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

> Intex 2800 sand filter/pump Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

> Deck ladder Amazon.com : Confer Economy Above Ground In-Pool Ladder : Swimming Pool Ladders : Patio, Lawn Garden

>Also considering the magnetic light....

I'm just not sure about;
> The skimmer upgrade, which skimmer brand would work, and since I'm most likely going to be using the solar cover if I should just leave the pool with the original port, or what?

> Not sure what vacuum (if any) is in what I got with the pool.

>Also anything else I may not be aware of, that would be good to consider changing or adding.

Besides any help with the above, that any of you could be so kind to help me with suggestions, I need some education about winterizing come the end of the season for here in NY winters.

Sorry so long thanks in advance!
MyTmouse

HI! That is so sweet you adopted your foster kids! What a wonderful thing to do! I am a Kindergarten so KNOW how much good you are doing for those kids! HUGS for doing such an awesome thing!

I can help with the ladder..........that is the one we have for our above ground pool and love it. It is easy to use and clean. I like that it does not eat up much room in the pool.

I will let others help with the other questions. I do know there are several threads about upgrading those pools. You might want to do a search in the search box up top. Do the advance search to narrow it down some.

Kim

Thank you Kim !

At least I know that the ladder I picked out will work out, and I hope I will be as happy with it as you are with it.

I started using the search box, like you said, but there are soooo many threads to read through it will take me a while.

Welcome! :wave:

If you want to see the ultimate setup with a pool like yours, check out this thread: Newbie - need some help Just scroll through and check out the pictures.

Also, use the search box for threads on levelling. Here's a good thread I need advice on leveling my ground. It's brutal backbreaking work, but necessary. A useful image is in post 8

Get yourself a proper test kit before drop one goes in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.