pensacola,fl
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Ok so I figured I would start a new thread instead of asking this question in the SWG thread I have going. My steps got horrible due to me not keeping up with the pool over the winter for multiple reasons. I tried using a magic eraser and that didn't help. Any suggestions on how to clean these steps? I would like to get them white again like they were last year. Thanks you for any considerations.

IMG_3427_zpspcgvqhkq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CC9326E9-2833-4E16-BAFD-D95C13A88BC4_zpsdcfrur1l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

97DEC800-B86E-4893-BD87-268028FAC68C_zpsqa3jvfag.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok so I did it and it seems to be definitely making it lighter. It didn't take it off completely but I only scrubbed for about 3-5 mins.

They are likely iron stains. You will need to do an Ascorbic acid treatment -

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Follow the procedure exactly. Many people often just do the AA treatment which gets rid of the stains but then neglect to add a proper metal sequestrant. Once the chlorine is brought back up, the stains return. You have to follow the procedure exactly in order for it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

If you just think that vitamin C helped, you need to be very sure before proceeding. Find the darkest stained horizontal surface and put a few vitamin C tablets right on it. The next day you should have a clean white area if it's working. There should be no doubt if it is in fact metal staining.

There are other sources for stains like that and the treatment differs.

I just got this but I only did a small spot about the size of a half dollar. It's to dark for me to take a picture now. Honestly if I have to get the chlorine to 0 I'm going to have to wait because I just got done doing a slam and getting pool cleared up. I'm not taking the chance of getting algae back right now. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please take LOTS of pictures starting with one where you did the first rub with the vit. C. That way it can help others.

Kim

I will take some pictures tomorrow and tonight I'll put one of the vitamin c tablets on the darkest spot and we will see if it makes it white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7B255CA1-A2D6-44FB-B93A-6DC56AF1DA47_zpsug830krb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok so I was able to take some pictures. Thought it was too dark but they turned out ok. Its not the darkest spots because they are on the sides. I put 3 tablets on them and we shall see what they look like in the morning..

61944385-83EB-439B-8D7B-61665B2D5D60_zpslyf1mpw7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, if you spent 3-5 minutes scrubbing a half-dollar spot to notice a difference, that sounds like something besides iron.

Hopefully its something else... My pool was pretty nasty... I can't believe I let it go but we had a lot going on so... We shall see if it takes the stain up in the morning........

That's good news. It means an AA treatment will work. Believe me it's way more frustrating to have brown stains that don't respond to either vitamin C or chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I know you prefer not to do an AA treatment now. I get that. For a temporary improvement, you could scrub the stairs with the sock method, but do it when your FC is on the low end of your range as chlorine makes the Vitamin C less effective. Just an idea.

I know you prefer not to do an AA treatment now. I get that. For a temporary improvement, you could scrub the stairs with the sock method, but do it when your FC is on the low end of your range as chlorine makes the Vitamin C less effective. Just an idea.

Yeah but that would be a lot of scrubbing.. Lol I wonder where a good place would be to get AA cheaper around here. My FC is down to 6 so I might as well go ahead and let it come down and do the treatment. I want the pool to be open by next month. I just don't want to get algae back and have to start the slam all over again. But I guess I don't have much of choice.

Try Amazon or The Chemistry Store. You shouldn't need more than a few pounds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.