Sta rite 200k BTU heater

Mar 6, 2016
Ringgold, ga
I'm hoping that my problem is an easy fix but nothing is ever easy. My heater functions normally except that after the blower starts, when the igniter fires the gas off there is a loud woof. There has always been a slight woof sound when it ignites but now it is to the point that it sounds like it has to much gas in the chamber and is on the verge of exploding inside. It still runs "normal" and cycles off and on as it always has. It seems like a valve is leaking gas into the combustion chamber when it is not in the heat mode. Any suggestion? Another thing, is it normal for the burner to cycle off and on about every minute or so?

How old is this unit?

Yes over time these units are notorious for making that sound. On occasion when I have to install one of these I have had them make the same sound right out of the box new. It's all about how they are designed and the air flow.

Not sure I would suggest that you disassemble this and clean it as you could potentially do more harm than good. I have seen one person remove the blower motor and one of the header bolts and then using compressed air, blow it out but he was a professional and I wouldn't suggest a homeowner attempt this. Heck I wouldn't even do it and I've been doing this a long time.

Just check inside and make sure that the air orifice on the blower motor is still intact and no obstructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.