Do I need a Salt water test kit?

Feb 14, 2016
McKinney. TX
Just converted to salt from a chlorine feeder. Can I still use my "fresh water" test kit for things like Cl, TA pH etc? I have some strips that allegedly tell me my salt saturation, but will take a sample to the pool store for more detailed info on that.

It is good to know your approximate salt level. But, the most important thing is that your SWG is happy with the salt level and producing chlorine.

Here is the water chemistry for a saltwater pool, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Yes, tests for FC, PH, CYA, TA and CH are all the same for fresh water or saltwater. Do you have a good test kit? I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

I have the Taylor K1766 salt test kit. I got it mostly out of curiosity rather than need.

Like pooldv says, the important thing is that your SWG is happy, and don't have any alarms.
The point is that with salt, it doesn't matter what the test result is, as long as its working all is well.

The strips are more accurate when they're fresh, but still not very reliable by themselves. Even the K1766 is accurate to only a couple or 3 hundred ppm.

What I do, and works well for me, is do nothing unless the low salt alam light comes on, then add a couple of bags at a time until the low salt alarm goes away. Then add another couple of bags for good measure and I'm good. Of course this only works because I check my SWG staus at least every couple of days, which is good practice for everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.