Filter Cartridges

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
I have a 17,000 gallon chlorine-sanitized pool. We have a Jandy filter with four (approx) 4' cartridges. I don't recall the model number of the filter. We also have a variable speed pump, which runs a bit slower than the single-speed pump we had a couple years ago.

About how often are we supposed to replace the filter cartridges? I clean mine every few months, but they are starting to look nasty. I've had the pool since 2008, and I last replaced the cartridges in 2012.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You should only need to replace a cartridge filter when the fabric rips or when the end caps no longer seal with the housing. I just replaced mine for the latter after 10 years of use.

If you can't get them clean, then try a soak in TSP per Pool School method.

I agree with Mas above. You should be able to clean them really good with a spray nozzle. Go over them with the nozzle a couple of times. We generally recommend that you have a filter 1.5 to 2 times the recommended size for your pool. Then it has to be cleaned less often.

I Clean my filter twice per year.

Just an additional note or two to consider - the TSP can be found at your local hardware store. Make sure it's pure TSP and not a mixture or blend of TSP. If your cartridges look like the ones listed HERE, then we have similar (pleated) cartridges with the exception of total quantity. HERE are some good instructions that will help if they are still salvageable. You'll also notice they may need extra cleaning when after a regular hosing, your filter gauge is not going as low as it used to. The TSP will help to dissolve some of the oils that tend to cover the pleated surface of the filters. When all else fails, there's always Amzon.com. :)

When you do get ready to buy some more I recommend Pleatco cartridges. They work better, clean up easier, last longer, flow better clog less and cost less than the OEM Pentair cartridges that came with my filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.