Opened too late, pool slightly green...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Water is still at 55 degrees, chemical numbers:

FC - 3
CC - 0
pH - 7.2-7.3... its kinda in the middle... tested it twice.
CYA - ~25ish... hard to tell as the tube maxes out a 30...

Obviously I need to slam, the wife is grabbing me 8 bottles of bleach as I type this... Ill slam it til it goes clear.

I cant remember though... thinking I need to wait to adjust CYA until after SLAM is complete, right?

I know with a lower CYA it will take less bleach to slam... 15 ppm by the trusty pool calc...

and what about pH? 7.2-7.3 isnt horrid, im thinking slam first adjust ph afterwards, however, I just pulled cover off an got pump going today, I have noticed that its normal for my pH to be low at first and after a week of no cover and pump running it goes up to where it is supposed to be.

thoughts?

thanks!

Yes, DO NOT adjust CYA. Just SLAM it. Your pH is fine for SLAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

It is done when it is done...............there is really no way to tell. You can do it faster by making sure the FC NEVER drops below SLAM level for your CYA.

Don't forget to brush at least once a day. Try for 2 if you can.

Good luck! Keep taking and sharing pictures looking down at our steps. That is the best thing for us to see the progress.

Kim

It is done when it is done...............there is really no way to tell. You can do it faster by making sure the FC NEVER drops below SLAM level for your CYA.

Don't forget to brush at least once a day. Try for 2 if you can.

Good luck! Keep taking and sharing pictures looking down at our steps. That is the best thing for us to see the progress.

Kim

here is what we are starting with. I over shot somehow the FC amount needed. Pool cal says 13 ppm for cya of 30, I poured in 3 121oz jugs of 8%, tested an hour later at opposite end of the pool, got 18ppm, oh well, better a bit too high than too low. ill test again in the a.m. before I head out to church and again soon as I return after noon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
update: seems to be clearing nicely. i have had to backwash twice as my filter would get so full, nothing was coming out of returns. ugly nasty brown backwash water. I run my dolphin nautilus every 6 hours to keep the dead algea cleaned up of the bottom and im brushing the sides twice a day. Ive been keeping the FC around 19-20 even though calc says 13, i want to make sure it never drops below shock level. so far the lowest it has went was 17. pump has been on constant HI since 6 yesterday when I started the slam.

We have went from green to pretty blue with a pretty clear bottom!:party:

she still isnt crystal clear though... so slamming continuing.... FC still holding at 19ppm... a bit on the high side....and thats right where ill keep it.;)

next stop.... crystal clear, which I expect to see tomorrow... :cool:

Once it hits crystal clear, ill hold slam level for 2 more days to make sure before I do OFCL test and CC testing, just to make sure every single cell of algea is dead, water is still below 60 degrees, so not like I can swim... so might as well hold high levels for a couple extra days as extra insurance that im done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.