Current recomendations?

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
I'm seriously considering a SWG for my 30,000 gal pool.
I really want to get this right the first time...... and want to install it myself. I rate myself as a "C+" handyman and hope to save the $300 installation charge if possible.
I was thinking of getting the Pentair or Hayward and after reading reviews, I see that they both have had their share of troubles.
Is there a current recommendation on which maybe the most reliable?

At the risk of being Capt. Obvious, I think it's important to remember that you tend to see more problems posted to internet boards than positive reviews, such that one might be tempted to believe there is a rash of problems with any/every product ever made.

I only have a year on my Pentair, but I'm inclined to believe that if I perform the requisite maintenance it should continue to perform well.

They are both good products and both are generally reliable. For every one you hear about with problems there are hundreds or thousands out there working great. You will need one rated for 60k gallons and it will be a better long term value because you can produce more chlorine with less pump run time. Hayward tends to get the nod here at TFP because it is cheaper to buy, easier to repair if you do have trouble and the replacement cells don't have on board electronics. But, I am very happy with my almost 4 year old Pentair Intellichlor.

The Hayward T-15 only puts out 1.4 pounds of chlorine while the Pentair IC-60 puts out 2 pounds of chlorine in a day.

You will have to run the Hayward unit for a longer period of time compared to the Pentair to make the required amount of chlorine during the summer months.

The Hayward has more control on how much chlorine is generated when a pool does not have automation. The Hayward is controlled by 1% increments while the Pentair is only adjustable by 20% increments.

Pentair's warranty is only 60 days for self installations, while Hayward's is 3 years.

Both brands are good quality SWG's.

No Philo. The SWG will only convert salt to chlorine (FC) and simply continue that cycle. HERE is a good page. Calcium is a by-product of Cal-Hypo treatments and water hardness from your local water source. It can cause problems for an SWG if not maintained properly. But even in high calcium (CH) parts of the country, draining the pool is not required as long as the TFP parameters are maintained - predominantly pH and TA with the CH. Once you get more familiar with the Poolmath calculator , you'll see a row that calculates "CSI". So even with high CH in your local water, draining is not required when the pH and TA are maintained appropriately.

I'm trying to check the minimum distance in the return line that is necessary to install the cell.
This is what is stated:
Measures 1-1/2-inch length by 4/7-inch height by 4/7-inch width.
That's not my typo...
Anyone know exactly how much PVC needs to be cut out for the IC-60?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.