Will this Solar Panel Control work?

ksmith13

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Lebanon, TN
I am in the process of getting my solar panel system up and running. I have purchased a pair of 2x20 sun grabber's to go with the pair that were laying in the yard waiting to be put on the roof. I also purchased a Goldline GL235 control assembly. Attached is a diagram of what I have in mind, 1st will it work and do you see any thing that you would do different? I wrote on the bottom of the page that I might put two more valves to the right of the 3-way valve and to the right of the cross. Also I plan on having a vacum breaker on top as well as drains where they go up to the roof. I will remove the panels from the roof in the fall, to make them last longer and I may remove the valve system, that is why I have unions on all branches of it.

Thanks Keith

Attachments

• Valve idea.jpg
    Valve idea.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 217
That is what I tried to copy. I think I have it, see if this makes sense. If I replace the cross below the 3-way valve with a T and come up above that T with another one for my water coming from the solar panels it should keep the water flowing better and not cause the water coming from the by pass to be dead heading straight in to the water from the panels.

If someone can draw up a diagram for me I would greatly appreciate it. I am posting a picture of the valve system I had made up before i decided to get the controler, I am planning to scrap it and start over. You can see in the picture that the panels are going to be to the right of the pump system.
Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• filter%20plumbing.jpg
    filter%20plumbing.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 180
Jason
I have thought about this until I am about to go crazy. LOL I think this is more in line with what is on powermat. Will you please confirm and if you see anything that will work better let me know.

Thanks
Keith

The three way valve is the square above the left isolation valve. I forgot to label it.

Attachments

• revised plumbing.jpg
    revised plumbing.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 149
Keith,

I'm not sure if you need the bypass connection and the check valve on the right, on the solar return. Your three-way valve will prevent water from going the wrong way into the solar return. When the solar is off, again the three-way will act as the bypass path. I just have 1 check valve which is right after the filter.

Make sure the three-way is the kind with the small hole in the gate to allow self draining of the panels.

The isolation valves need to be above the bypass valve on the vertical edges of the square of pipe. Everything else looks correct. The way you have it drawn right now the panels can't be isolated when the pool is running.

Having both check valves is a very good idea, though not strictly required. One prevents the system from draining through the filter and pushing dirt back into the pool and the other keeps pressurized water from going back up the solar return line when the solar system is turned off, which allows the panels to remain drained when they are off.

Likewise the bypass pipe is not strictly required, the three way valve could be used to perform the same task. However, keeping the extra bypass pipe makes it much simpler to service the solar system. Once the bypass is turned on and the solar is isolated everything, including the automated three way valve can be worked on. Without the separate bypass you can't service the three way valve when the pool is on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.