Dirty water pumped into pool after backwash

Mar 5, 2016
Cape Town
After back washing my pool, dirty water is pumped back into my pool, regardless of the spider valve setting - rinse or filter. Literally dirty water flows the moment you start to rinse. No water bubbles out of the top of the spider selector. I replaced the sand in my filter this season. Not sure what could be causing this? Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Are few things to consider:
- Are you rinsing for a good 1-2 minutes?
- When you replaced the sand, perhaps the laterals didn't get placed back correctly?
- When you replaced the sand, did you first fill the filter housing with a good amount of water to prevent breaking a lateral from all the weight?
- Perhaps your spider gasket is beginning to fail?
- Lastly, new sand can at times require a more lengthy backwash; some people will backwash new sand a good 5 minutes or so, but after that it should be fine.

Perhaps more ideas will come in as well.

Also see: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters and Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thanks guys, I opened my Spider gasket and found that the black rubber sealer between the different compartments (not O-ring) was perished badly. I have replaced that now but my pool is too dirty to see if the water was dirty after rinsing. I can tell you that no water was coming in while rinsing so I'm feeling hopeful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.