strange particles in pool, algae?

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We turned on our pool light for the first time this year tonight and immediately noticed a cloud of dense "particles" floating around the light. Should we assume these are all over the water and we can only see them near the bright light? We were outside shocking the pool because we have been losing chlorine at a fast rate. The chlorine loss from last night (after shocking) to this morning was 4.5! I shocked (16, CYA is 40ish) only once during the day (all I had time for) and the chlorine was back down to 7 tonight. The pool cover was also closed most of the day due to 30 mph winds. We were trying to keep out the debris since we live on a wooded lot. We have been in the process, for the last two weeks, of getting our TA down. It was 225 and is now 110. PH tonight was 7.4 and we are still aerating. Obviously something is going on, but the pool water looks so good and clear. Any ideas what this is?

Losing that much FC overnight, it's probably some sort of algae. But there are other things that could be visible at night with the light on regardless of algae growth. Pollen, for a timely example, can sometimes be too small for a sand filter to catch. Another possibility is small air bubbles from a suction side leak.

I think all of us have those particles floating by the light at night in the pool.

They are simply particles that cannot or have not yet been filtered out. Many people here report seeing far fewer after they add DE to their sand filter. I have never done it so can't comment. Anyway, it's essentially unrelated to your FC loss.

It does sound like you have algae in your pool. You should do an overnite test to see what your FC loss is while dark. If you're not familiar with how to do it, post back and you'll get help.

I know what you mean about particles around the light but this is like a "cloud" that is "hanging" there. I won't worry about it though. Yes I am very familiar with the overnight FC test. I guess I didn't realize you could have algae in the pool with sparkling clear water at the same time. I will keep the pool at shock level until I get a FC loss of 1 or less overnight. The CC is .5 or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.