Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello,

First off I wanted to thank everyone here for posting such great and detailed information, I went from a green swamp to nice and clean in less than a week!!

Background:

I am a first time pool owner who purchased the house last Aug. The pool had some workarounds done by ther previous owner: both the suction and return lines were pvc pipes going from the equipment pad, across the deck, over the coping, dropping a foot into the pool.

I had some work done by a pool builder who repaired one of the return lines, closed off the second one and installed a new skimmer and plumbing to the pump. He also informed me the drain is not working. I had him do just enough to make it functional without spending too much money (house needed work too).

I was thinking of getting a new pump and cleaning up the plumbing around it. I've been reading up on pumps (2 speed vs VS.) but was wondering what you guys think of the filter I have and how having only a single (1.5") return line come into play when choosing the pump. Eventually it'll need replastering and I'll look into repairing the drain and adding more return lines then.

Thanks again!!!

pappi

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new(ish) pool!

Good job reading up and taking care of your pool. You can definitely go with a smaller pump. A 1hp or 3/4hp 2 speed pump would be fine.

I am not familiar with that filter model. Do you like the DE filter? They filter smaller particles faster but they are the most work maintenance wise. Here is a write up from Pool School comparing different filter types, Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

Thanks guys!

I've done some reading about filters, my DE seems like it does a good job but it's not connected to any drain and I don't like back washing into the yard. I was thinking of either a separation tank or cartridge filter, not sure on the size I'd need.

Cartridge, sand and DE filters all work fine. There is a strong tendency for owners to like best what they already have.

If your issue with DE is backwashing into the yard...Diatomaceous earth /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜːrθ/, also known as D.E., diatomite, or kieselgur/kieselguhr, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder.

I think I would consider that a soil additive rather than anything harmful.

If you dislike your DE filter for other reasons, then cartridge or sand are both fine filters.

Most pools these days in So Cal are built with cartridge filters due to water and sewer restrictions. Sand filters will use the most water as they need to be backwashed every so often.

I have a DE filter and have a Hayward separation tank, https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProGrid-C9002SEP.pdf, to capture the backwashed DE. A little DE gets by but I just wash it into the grass.

As with any filter, the larger you get the less often it will need to be cleaned.