Following pebble tek resurface turned on SWCG... now need balance the pool for salt

kpischel

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all... I'm in the process of trying to get my pool balanced... Target is TFP standards for salt water pool. Current test results:
  • FC 6 ppm
  • PH 7.5 - goal 7.6
  • TA 100 - goal is 60-70; So I read in these pages that to lower TA bring down PH to 7.0-7.2, then aerate until PH is 7.6; repeat as necessary to reach TA goal. I'm guessing this is iterative... Any idea how many times this will be necessary?
  • CH 375
  • CYA 60 - working to get this up to70. Once the soc is empty will the reading stabilize or will it continue to rise?
  • Salt 3150 ppm - seems it was 3200 the other day, recommended is 3400. Added 80lbs yesterday... does the SWCG burn through the salt that fast?

Any particular order I should approach this?

I've been told having the CYA at these levels will cause the ORP reading on the intellichem to be off... I was thinking I might let the system settle, get the FC right, see where the ORP is and set that as the goal in the system... does that make sense?

Finally, the acid injection system has kept the PH spot on. Make sense to add borates to further tighten the PH range? I imagine as we head into summer the pool will get into the high 80s and will be more of a challenge to keep in balance... Thanks for your thoughts!

You are on the right track and doing great!

Here is my fave page about saltwater,Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

I mostly only adjust salt when the SWG says to, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then it's all good. The SWG does not "use up" salt, it is a continuous loop, salt to chlorine to salt, repeat ... Salt is only lost to overflow, draining and splash out.

Don't know about your ORP.

I am a fan of borates.

You will get into cruise control mode over summer with tweaks to FC and PH and lots-o-swimming. :paddle:

Thanks! Follow-up questions:
  • does the CYA reading stabilize or will it continue to rise once the soc is empty?
  • when driving TA down, any idea how many times one must lower PH then aerate... I'm sure it is pool size specific... rough idea?
  • Any particular order when balancing pool water (read borates last, salt first)
  • I've been told having the CYA at the TFP recommended levels will cause the ORP reading on the intellichem to be off... I was thinking I might let the system settle, get the FC right, see where the ORP is and set that as the goal in the system... does that make sense?

CYA reading will be stable in a week.
Not sure on the TA repetitions, I just do it from time to time when adding acid, not repeatedly with a goal in mind.
Order isn't that important except take your PH and TA in stages to make sure neither moves too much at once and get your TA down to 60 or 70 before adding borates
here you go
Salt
FC
PH
CH
TA
Borates

I am not familiar with Intellichem and ORP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.