Need new pool advice. Old one taken out by tornado

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
So we weren't sure if we were going to get a new pool until a tornado took out the old intex and we are ready to get a new one. Going with a much sturdier pool that's almost twice as big. (16x32) 48" deep

The salt water version is 1k more than the chlorine. I don't want to be cheap on price if we're better off in the end, but is salt water harder to learn? I just got the chlorine pool figured out last year. How s the learning curve and is it better in the long run to use salt?

Want to physically look at the pools to see how sturdy they really are, but what do you guys recommend for salt vs chlorine only.

Thanks in advance. Love you guys!

Glad to hear you're okay from the storm. Woo. Yeah, a lot of misconceptions about salt water generator pools and how they are utilized. You might like to checkout these two pages just to get some more info:
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

For the most part, a SWG is all about convenience and up-front cost. Other than that, it just makes "Free Chorine" (FC) so you don't have to pour bleach into the water. Let us know if you still have questions.

Before you nail-down specific equipment, you can post back here and let us know what size pump and type/size filter you are getting. That will be just as important before you take the "plunge" at checkout. $$$ :)

Hiya, Texy! ;)

After going back to pool school, we really do want to go with SWG. It's no harder to understand and way more convenient. No more waking up in the middle of the night trying to remember if we fed the pool! lol

Ok so we are looking at similar to what woody has: Cornelius Monterey 16'x32'x54" Oval, ( wanted to bury it two feet but too many lines run under our yard)
Hayward Aquatrol SG. At pool store she it's a 1.5 HP pump. It's not in the quote so I'm not sure exactly what actually comes in the package. What would you recommend in this situation? Should we try to get a 2HP 2 speed? Is the extra money for a variable speed worth it in the long run because of lower utility bills? How much HP should we have for this size pool? Any advice is truly appreciated.

Also, pool store said we'd only have to test once every two weeks with SWG. That's not even close to right is it? How can I get to know my pool if I don't know what it's doing day to day?

Thanks, guys.

Glad to hear you're okay from the storm. Woo. Yeah, a lot of misconceptions about salt water generator pools and how they are utilized. You might like to checkout these two pages just to get some more info:
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

For the most part, a SWG is all about convenience and up-front cost. Other than that, it just makes "Free Chorine" (FC) so you don't have to pour bleach into the water. Let us know if you still have questions.

Before you nail-down specific equipment, you can post back here and let us know what size pump and type/size filter you are getting. That will be just as important before you take the "plunge" at checkout. $$$ :)

At that size, I would estimate your new pool to be about 15,700 gallons. If your pump will be used simply for water circulation, then a 1.5 HP would be just fine. A 2-speed would work well so that you could keep it on low speed for energy savings, and crank it up to high speed for vacuuming or just to help mix chemicals better. Variable speed pumps are gaining more & more popularity, but as you already know they tend to cost a bit more. Folks who get VS pumps tend to do so not only for the low RPM settings (power efficiency), but because they need to increase RPMs to operate various other features or equipment items (waterfall, spa, water features, etc). VS pumps can also come with programmable features which is a must for some pools that have various needs.

For the pool itself, a 1.5 HP will work well. If you anticipate additional plumbing (i.e. "stub-out" for a water feature) for some other need, then a 2 HP (2-speed) might be best. You could always adjust water flow (pressure) with a valve after the filter.

As for testing ... if that question is referring to standard chemistry (FC, pH, TA, etc) then your TFP instincts are correct. You'll test some of those daily, and others about once a week. Salt perhaps not so much unless you anticipate low FC production. Hope this helps. Feel free to post more questions as they pop-up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.