rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
Good day all, I feel like Iv'e done enough reading over the past few days to ask some questions. Please if you could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I'm interested in a new pool pump. I love my pool, but the one thing I dread every year is the electric bill going up. As it stands, I have a Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5HP pump. It's way overkill (At least I found that out after reading this forum!). All hand me down equipment. I turn it on for 4-5 hours a day and hate it. I can feel my meter spin. After everything it's $.142/KW here. I live in Maryland and right now we have a $400 rebate from the utility company if we get a VS pump, or $150 rebate for a 2 speed. I've been looking at the Pentair 342001 VS Pump 1.5HP. I just want to make sure this would be a good move. Does anybody have any downsides to VS pumps? I would go with a 2 speed to save money, but with the rebate it's a no brainer. I have a business acquaintance that's a certified electrician and plan to at least have him vouch for the work for the 3 year warranty. I also plan to house the pump in some kind of enclosure to prevent the elements from getting to it (I don't want the Pentair one, that looks flimsy, anyone have any DIY links I'd appreciate it).

If you look in my sig you'll see my equipment. I don't know what to expect the RPM's/wattage to need to be at to go through the pool heater. Pentair states for my model heater it requires minimum 40/GPM. The pool heater will have a bypass, so when I'm not heating, no water needs to go that route (hopefully save the heat exchanger in the long run.)

For me, $650 on a pump will be more than I've invested in the whole pool (not including electricity). I just want to make sure this is a wise investment and I'm on the right track.

P.S. - To all those that have contributed to this forum, thank you. My pool has (mostly) stayed clear, and been easier to maintain than I ever imagined because of you. The wife and kids don't know it, as I'll admit I take full credit, but it's because of you!

That is a great pump for your pool, you will save lots of money on the electric bill.

You will be able to dial in whatever speed you need to keep the SWG happy and the heater happy, then you can set one of the preset speeds for that speed. Mine is 1 for SWG, 2 for solar panels, etc. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine and it uses 150 watts. It runs at 1950 rpm for solar and uses between 550-600 watts. Which is considerably less than what your pump uses now. At 10.25c/kWh i can run my pump at 1100rpm 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month.

WOW, that's awesome. That would be well worth it for $12/month + [email protected]/gallon to heat and run the pool.

Now I'm a bit confused. Which one would last longer. I see they have differences between Pentair SuperFlo 342001 and Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 (I know it's 3HP, but the 1 HP 011008 is more $ for some reason.)

I guess this is the IntelliFlo vs SuperFlo? I see IntelliFlo has more steps down, but would it be worth it to get for another $200??? Is it built better? I'm ok spending $ for something that lasts longer or is better built...

The Intelliflo has more complex onboard electronics with more capability to interface with Pentair's pool automation like the Easytouch or Intellitouch. If you aren't planning to add automation then the Superflo will be a great pump for you.

VS pumps are more sensitive to surges might want to install a surge protector while you are at it, the $40 to $80 for a protector is cheep insurance.

I did see that was an option, thank you.

The Intelliflo has more complex onboard electronics with more capability to interface with Pentair's pool automation like the Easytouch or Intellitouch. If you aren't planning to add automation then the Superflo will be a great pump for you.

Do you get more steps with the IntellFlo vs SuperFlo? I am my own automation, for better or worse, turn some valves....

It sounds like SuperFlo I think. It's hard to sell it to the wife just yet with 3" of snow on the ground from last night.

Dang snow! Not sure what you mean by steps. They are both infinitely adjustable in 5 rpm increments. You get 3 programmable presets with the SuperFlo and 8 presets with the IntelliFlo. Both will tell you how many watts you are using at the current speed setting. More here, including manuals, etc.
http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-vs-variable-speed-pump-464.htm

Here is where I would buy it from,
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

Awww.... that makes much more sense. From what I was reading (it may have been referencing the pre programmed sets) there was only so many sets of RPM's to choose from. If I can go in increments of 5 RPM I'm sold.

I did see that site, I saw it on Ebay for $644, but I'd rather get it at a reputable supplier such as you suggested.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just my 2 cents....VS is the way to go. I went with the 2 speed Pentair. Nice pump but the energy savings are much better with the VS as the experts have already mentioned above.

Every 2 cents helps. I'm sold on the Pentair VS 342001. I will purchase from Sunplay as mentioned above. $700 total after taxes with $400 rebate (probably credit) from utility company ~ $300. As long as I take care of it, surge protection, some type of enclosure, 3 year warranty with qualified install, should be ok. This will be my biggest investment on the pool yet.

I don't think I pay any tax with them. Give them a call. They are great folks with a real store in Utah. I buy pretty much everything from them.

BTW, on the 3 presets on the Superflo, you can set them to whatever speed you want. They come preset but you can change them.

So....I did call, thank goodness I did. They said they are having issues with their website adding tax and that the only people that have to pay tax are residents of Utah. She said when I get to the end the tax would be removed. I'd much rather deal with a company that's well known like them anyways.

I did read more of the manual, it was a little confusing without hands on, but I get it now

3 presets would be skim > heater > cleaning

Do most people just run it on low 24/7 or cycle on and off?

Should be ordering within a week or 2, I just like to do my homework first.

Good news! I leave mine on 24x7 in spring and fall because we have lots of trees dropping stuff in the pool and it is better to skim that stuff before it sinks to the bottom. I vary with the other times. It runs quite a bit in summer for solar heating and not much in winter. It is so cheap to run it doesn't really matter a lot! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.