pump and filter, fix or replace?

geoduck

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2016
Mukilteo
I dug into my pool's equipment room a bit more and would like to get some opinions on trying to fix what I have or start new. The pump motor is a 1 HP dayton. The previous owner said he ran it a month ago. I haven't tried turning it on yet. There isn't a timer, just a light switch and the circuit breaker. From what i could determine the filter is a StaRite High Rate Sand Filter HRP24. Their is quite a bit of corrosion on metal parts I assume from acid and bleach storage in the equipment room.

IMG_9750.jpg

Thanks!

Bryan, since you don't appear to have any other items to manage (i.e. waterfall, spa, etc) that require a larger pump, a 1 HP should be fine - if it works. The key thing to know is if it's a one or two-speed. A one speed will use excessive power, while a 2-speed provides considerable savings. The fact that your pump turns-on simply by a light switch makes me think it's a one-speed, but you can confirm. So that will probably a bigger consideration as you move forward. As for the filter.... well ... much like the pump itself, you may not know until you crank it all up. I suspect one issue (if the pump works) is to perform a backwash and see how the filter responds. Of course you can disassemble it first (carefully) if you're familiar with the process as to be cautious about the laterals and fittings. At some point you'll find-out real quick if the corrosion caused by improperly storing acid nearby has done too much damage.

Let us know. If you end-up requiring a new set-up, TFP can guide you to a few very good products on the market that are not only reliable and efficient, but should also be the best value for your money. Good luck.

I am definitely interested in getting recommendations for a new set-up. I'd rather not invest money into the old filter to get it in operable shape. I found the broken handle for the bronze valve and it didn't look like it had been used in some time. I opened the pool valves and turned on the pump. I was happy to see it pushing water through the pool. There is a spa next to the pool. We haven't quite figured out what to do with it. It's narrow and deep, big enough for two people to sit facing each other and it has two jets. If I wanted to use the spa I assume with one heater I would manually run the spa or the pool but not both at the same time?

Thanks!

I went to your other thread to see the pool but could not see the spa. Care to share that as well? Pics help us know what is what.

If you want to start all over with your equipment you are welcome to. We will help you with size and such (bigger is better with filters).

I worry about the bolts on the filter. They look rusted :( Nice the pump turned on AND you have movement in the pool! You are heading in the right direction!

Kim

Here is a photo of the spa, The pool is visible near the bottom. It's about 75" x 37" x 39" deep. I think part of getting this pool ownership started out trouble free I'll be best served starting with a new pump and filter instead of a restoration project. I have enough restoration to do with the rest of the pool area in general. It appears that the previous owner scraped the walls before painting and a good bit of that is now on the bottom of the spa and pool.

I also included a photo of the rusted heater gas line. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to replace the part of the iron gas pipe that passes through the filter room.

I'm thinking I'd like to stick with a sand filter. The company I work for uses Vitroclean crushed glass filtration media for all media filter installations typically in the 300-1000 gallons per minute range. I should also be able to source the new pump and filter from one of our local pump distributors.

View attachment 45555View attachment 45556

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.