New Pool Build Pearland, TX (Houston area)

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
We already met with two PBs and would like to meet with at least one more. Do you have any PB recommendations for us to call or PBs to steer clear of?

For the two PBs, they were recommended by friends and so we just showed them the yard and told them what we would like. Not sure what else we should have asked them besides how long will it take, will you be onsite during the build, since they came recommended. What else should we ask?

We have a few preliminary designs and one PB wants us to come to their office to discuss design changes. What should we expect at their office?

We are a bit disappointed that some of the cooler features of pools are pretty pricey. We would like a pool we can swim and relax in and as well as one we can gaze at and is aethetically pleasing. I don't want to offend the PBs, but are all costs negotiable? Which items are more negotiable than others? What is the best way to approach this?

I will post images of our yard and the designs soon. We would also like to cover our existing patio, add a small pergola near the pool, and have space near the pool for a portable fire pit. We are also meeting with a couple outdoor structure companies and a landscaper.

We would like to maximize pool and deck space, but have easements to consider. May need to use pavers in this area to maximize space. Or has anyone added a portion of their deck in an easement using a joint at the boundary, so that portion could be removed if necessary?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can read our article Pool School - How to Pick a Pool Builder here. Also most "deals" are going to be offered in the winter. Now that the weather is warm builders probably are already booked through the summer.

I can't speak for Houston.. but here in Austin I was talking with the electrical subcontractor this week. He told me that pool builds are pretty much as summer level activity.

The best way to get the lowest price in my opinion is to get a design you like and then have 3 pool builders bid on it. Then negotiate on the details.

They like to build what they like to build that is why they want to design the pool so its designed in a way they are comfortable.

Sometimes separating things out can result in real savings. Like having a concrete contractor do the flat work.

With the drop in oil prices I would think there is some slack in the Houston market now. No matter what pool builders will always sign you up to get you in line.

But you need to understand that pool builders each build a pool the way they want to so they want you to go with their design.

Yes! That is why we like the one from PB1 too. They will also build the pool and spa to the easement line and use separation joints to add deck into it, so we can maximize deck space but still allow it to be dug up without hurting the main deck. Still debating if this is a good idea or not.

Also we had PB1 modify the design with just a small/medium rock waterfall using rocks to form steps to the top and larger rock shelf as a jumping rock.

We asked PB2 to redesign, but now I may send them 3rd design from PB1 to see what they would price it out as. Is this considered ok to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I do want a larger sun shelf. :) We may go deeper than 6' to allow for diving.

We did meet with PB3 yesterday and it was a good meeting. Very interested in seeing their design and pricing, because they were excited to create a pool the kids would love with water features, possible slide, etc. all within our budget. This was the only PB that asked what out budget was. Just hope the equipment and everything is not on the lower end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is best way to do it-----------let the compete against each other and let them know about it! If they want your job they will do what it takes to get it.

When I was getting a new AC unit with added vents they were crossing each other in the door! LOL

Kim

Ok. We like this 3 ton waterfall design outline (we will add remove benches and enlarge the sunshelf, maybe get rid of accent rocks) and will send it to PB2 to see what they would price it at. The deck near the spa will go right near the fence. How much space should they leave from deck to fence? Inches? The design doesn't have the fence in the right location.

Got busy and then Spring break happened, so now I'm back....We're going to leave decking out of the easements, so the dogs will have a "dog run" around the pool as well as behind the garage.

PB2 came up with this new design $50-55k

PB3 came up with this geometric design $45k

Met with PB4 and waiting for their design and proposal.

Home Equity Loan should be closing at anytime. :)

Can't quite tell from the renderings. Is there a BBQ/Kitchen area already there or to be done still? Just wondering that if not, even if not going in immediately, it might be nice to reserve the space and choose a design that would compliment it.

Also, might be helpful to ask all the the PB's to give you two renders from the same view angle. Perhaps from two places you will be seeing it from the most. The overhead views are good to get the overall look and design, but harder to tell what it's really going to look like with the differences.

As far as questions to ask, you can try my list if you want to really dig into your builders....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/104582-Houston-TX-Pool-Build-Diary-From-Design-to-Dive-In/page2

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.