Best use of Heater

Apr 22, 2009
Hi guys, pool has got to 14 degrees here in the sunny UK (dont laugh)

I have a 9kw heater which appears to be working fine, this is my first pool so a few questions if you would be so kind.

As a first test / trial run I had the heater on for approx 9 hours yesterday, it was a nice sunny day temperature somewhere around 20 at a guess, the pool temperature went from 14 to 18 degrees only, whats the best or most economical way to use one of these Elecro electric heaters ? I think I want the pool at about 25 degrees, should I run the heater until pool hits 25 and then switch off or leave on all the time ? I think we will use the pool only weekends so I am thinking once summer arrives to turn on the heater on a Thursday night and turn off Friday or when up to temperature ready to use friday night and the weekend, and then repeat again each week or am I better ie is it more economical leaving on full time.

Pool is above ground type but with 4" polystyrene jacket, and will have 400 micron bubble cover come next pay day :) .

Keep in mind that electric heaters tend to be fairly expensive to use.

Your plan to only heat for the weekend will save some electricity. The heater will probably take two, or maybe three, days to get up to temperature right now, so you will need to turn it on a couple of days in advance. Still, any day you can have it off will save some electricity.

The solar cover will help significantly.

Thanks for your thoughts Jason.

I think to a degree it will be a case of try it and see, and also must be influenced by the outside air temperature. I guess you guys dont have heat problems like we do :)

I just wondered if there was an exact science to heating as opinion seems to be split between having the heater on full power for say 2 days each week or leave on all the time and in theory once pool is up to temperature the heater would only kick in for a couple of hours each day to top up.

I guess it depends largely on how much heat loss I will get.

Thinking now to check and read electric meter, try for 2 days or so on before weekend then see how much heat the pool retains. Following week read meter again but leave on full time and read meter end of that week and compare numbers.

either way sounds a bit $$$$$$$$$ to me !!

I hear places in Orlando are going cheap now, maybe cheaper to move :goodjob:

Leaving the heater on all week will use more electricity. The rate of heat loss depends on the temperature difference between the pool and the air. The higher the temperature difference the more heat you lose. Allowing the pool to cool down for a couple of days lowers the amount of heat lost, so you don't use as much electricity replacing the heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.