Slam Time!1

Sep 11, 2015
Humble, TX
So been following now for over a year and made the switch at the end of the season last year (End of Sep). With the pucks all last summer I had several algae breakouts and ended up with my CYA levels over 120. So six months later with just bleach and standard evaporation and kids splashing I had added water and got my CYA down to 70 (I know it needs to be lower and by mid summer should be there with out a draining of any sorts) and ready to slam to get the pool ready to go for summer.

Pre Slam Readings:

FC-7.5
CC-0.5
CH-250
TA-130
PH-7.8
CYA-70

I added Acid (brushed) and got my PH to a about 7.0-7.1 before adding bleach. I took it a bit lower then 7.2 because I have a 7 foot spill way from hot tub to pool and with this my PH climbs rapidly when the pull runs.

SO I have added 8 gallons of bleach (brushed) and will test lvls to see if I need more to hit my FC of 28 (which I should). Questions I have are the Polaris, does it need to be removed during the slam or should I let it run off and on to pick stuff off the bottom? It is fairly windy here and pines are dropping stuff in pool like crazy. Second question is pollen, it is everywhere, what affect will this have on my slam, will it constantly eat my bleach?

Oh yea test kit is a TF-100

Thanks in advance for the pointers and advice?

Ok so I did something wrong already:foot:

When I plugged in the calculator I put the wrong % chlorine, so instead of 28 im closer to 48. I should have added close to 7 gallons I added eight so not sure how it jumped so high

Not sure how the heck I have done this but any advice? I have tested three times and getting same result every time.

Im going to let it run over night and recheck in the morning.

Grab your dirty whites and throw them in. :) No sweat. It will drop on its own soon enough. Watch it tomorrow and adjust accordingly. Double-check your pool size and % in the calculator, to include your NOW and TARGET values. Mistakes happen. This isn't the worse. If you continue to have problems, let us know.

Reading this morning was down to 46! (lots of drops good thing I have a new refill waiting to be used)

Question on the PH, I remember reading that you get false readings with High FC, I tested anyways and yes it shows 7.8. My concern is I know that my PH rises rapidly anyway due to large spill way, and I add around 6 oz of acid almost daily to keep it below 7.8. Should I keep my routine of adding acid during this process or is there a way to get a true reading on the PH?

SPA.jpg

So last reading before bed last night FC was at 35 and CC was at 1, first reading this morning FC was at 33.5 and CC was at .5. Getting there I guess?

Anyone with comments on the adding acid during the slam process my PH looks to be in excess of 7.8 with the skewed test but I know it is rising with the pool running.

It does sound as though you are on the right track. Good work on that FC. Generally we just ignore the pH during this time period. If the SLAM was to continue for a long period of time and we had a strong concern about the pH, you could let the FC come down below 10 just long enough to re-validate, but for now I'd say leave it alone. We really don't want to interrupt the progress you're making on the SLAM. Stay on it, and great work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So reading this morning is 29 so I have passed the overnight test! :cool: Water is clear I can see the screw heads on the drains and passed this test so im calling it good.

Plan is to put in new filters later today, do I need to keep the pump running till the FC lvls drop back to normal or just run the pool on my normal schedule?

Alright! Passed OCLT, less than .5 CC, and clear water. Once that FC sinks below 10, you can check/adjust pH. Yes, resume normal operating schedule. From now on, just make sure you maintain your target FC based on your CYA and you'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.