Owner build in Gilbert AZ

Jan 11, 2016
Gilbert
Hi Everyone,

Typical story, been lurking for a bit and now it's time to break dirt. Attached is our preliminary design. Pool is going to be for a boring husband and wife, 2 teenagers, and 3 dogs.

Looking to put in a grotto without a slide and have the pool 8 feet deep around the grotto.

2 led lit bubblers on the baja deck.

Should we have 1 or 2 led rgb lights for the pool?

Also what type of decking? We are looking at Artistic Pavers products. Any pros or cons? Main reason is price although we certainly like the look.

Welcome any and all comments and will post pics when we get this project moving. Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 4.06.10 PM.jpg

Paver=Depends (sorry) you have to ask your local permit department. They are all so different. Let us know what they say.

I like the 8ft off the grotto. Just make sure the grotto is built for standing on and jumping off of because you and I both KNOW the teens WILL do it! LOL

I would think about another bench in the deep end. Those seem to be neat and well used handing out areas in pools.

Kim

Welcome and congrats on making the decision! First off, was it you that decided that your DH is boring? Or is that a mutual thing? No need to reply!

A few thoughts...

The picture is too small for me to read some of the details, if you can post it larger that might be helpful for the discussion.

It looks like there might only be one skimmer, and if that's a 36' length, two might be more appropriate. Especially with all those curves on the outside to distract the water from flowing to your skimmer. They are best located downwind, which can often be more than one direction based on time of year, etc. I'm not crazy about looking at them so I'd put one on the lower left and one on the lower right if all else being equal.

Lights - one LED will not be bright enough. You will want two plus the bubblers. It's kind of tough for you to place them optimally since the grotto and the primary seating area are basically opposite each other. I'd opt for roughly underneath of both skimmer locations suggested above. Grottos also look awesome with built in lighting. There are several builds here that show this to great effect.

Agree with the deep-end bench suggestion (maybe even a standing height bench) on the left and maybe one opposite the planter. It's almost impossible to have to much bench space.

I'd also recommend posting up your intended equipment specs and plumbing details. These are important aspects to the overall healthy/efficient operation of your investment - and many times overlooked in favor of layout/design.

Travertine seems to be the best (or possible individually most popular) deck choice for warm climates for the pretty factor and coolness under foot...thought at the expense of, well, expense.

Oh, and 3 dogs, definitely two skimmers, at least. More time between hair nets getting clogged!

Actually I'm a self diagnosed boring DH. That's me. (As an aside what does the D in DH stand for? Never figured that out.)

Don't know how to make the picture bigger. Should I do links to another service? I just used the forums uploader for the diagram I have.

You'll find that I kind of am jumping off the deep end with this project. (Sorry, couldn't resist.). So I appreciate any and all info. Don't have a clue about what filter, pump(s) etc. . . just figure I'll learn about it as I go.

For systems I know there is hayward and pentair. I'm leaning with pentair as the bigger builders here use them and they seem to have the better automation. As for filter DE, cartridge, or sand. Well. . . like I said, I'm figuring it out as I go. What does the collective wisdom say to use? 2 of the dogs won't be swimming the other is a short hair.

How about pumps? Should I go with 2 or 1? I was told I am good with 1 so long as I don't mind walking over and switching valves at the same time I realize that after a few beers that journey looks further and further.

Pretty much sold on 2 led lights. Want to imbed some inside the grotto as well.

The two skimmer idea seems like a good one as well.

Thanks for the info and I'll be posting pics as we get going. Right now nothing to show but a desert moonscape as there is absolutely nothing in our backyard yet. We just moved into a new build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A single 2 speed or vs pump will be fine. With pool automation you control the pool from your lounge chair ( even if the lounge chair is in bora bora with some systems) so one pump is fine.

You need to be deciding about you grotto now. What is it going to look like. Because that is something you are going to have to explain to the engineer who will engineer it and the steel crew and the gunite crew.

The engineer will also charge you extra for the grotto.

Thanks for the PM. I appreciate it.

Just replied.

- - - Updated - - -

gwegan: Thanks for the info on the pump. I'm guessing that is what actuators do? Turn the valves based upon what I want? Just got an Amazon Echo and I love that. Never knew I was so lazy, can turn my house lights on and off and even dim the lights with it. Would love a way I could hook my pool stuff up to the Echo.

What HP would you suggest on the pump. Just this morning someone said 3 hp makes no sense with 2" pipes. This threw me off as the PB's have all been pushing the 3 hp variable.

Just experienced the upcharge for engineering a grotto. Went from $60 to $360. Oh well. The grotto and depth is for the kids, that's already an addon of a few thousand. $300 more is a drop in the pool.

Once again, thanks for the info everyone.

The Pentair 011018 3hp variable speed pump is one of the most popular and most energy efficient pumps on the market currently. Many folks on TFP have them and love them, including me. It is important to use the same brand pump, SWG and automation to make sure everything will work well together.

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

You want the lowest hp that will serve your pool. I would suggest 1.5 or 2 hp pump. The only water feature you have is the bubblers. If you were to add solar or a waterfall I might have a different opinion but for what you have a 1.5 to 2 hp pump will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.