Air is getting in, but how

I bought my brother's house in early December. After turning the pool from a swamp green to a pretty blue, we added a barracuda g3 to help keep it clean. Since our pool is not screened and we get a lot of leaves from neighbors trees and sand because it's really sandy here in Florida, we also have an in line leaf catcher. After running it a day, it must be cleaned or it will cause not enough pressure due to a lack of suction. Now I know, I just empty it. No problem there. Pain, yes. Now for the problem.

It now has air bubbles flowing through the system. I haven't run the cleaner in a couple of weeks because of it. You can hear them in the lines and the filter and the clear part on the pump near the filter has too many little ones (not a big bubble like when pressure is high from algae gases when you're trying to flip it back to blue). The pump is running barely at pressure. I tried releasing air on the filter with the release valve and it shoots water. Just before the bubbles entered and became troublesome, I had had the cleaner out for a few days and the skimmer had been full of leaves. I asked hubby to empty it and it didn't get seated back in correctly. The pressure was really low on the filter and I noticed that there was a plastic plant pot blocking the skimmer and the basket was on its side full of debris (it had been extra windy and blew all kinds of debris into the pool). Now the bubbles just won't stop. Any ideas on what's causing them to get into the system and not go away? Am I hurting anything by running the pump/filter each day with the bubbles? Pressure is just at the green mark. It does the usual blowing the bubbles out of the system at start up, but then the sound is still there and you can see some. Good flow on the pool jets.

Thanks in advance!

When my system got really clogged up with leaves and debris a few weeks ago I was getting some tiny bubbles coming out the returns. The basket at the pump had filled with enough debris that it was really limiting the flow on the vacuum side of the pump. I believe this was causing the pump to draw air either thru the seals or by some gasket. As soon as I cleaned everything out, no more bubbles.

Any chance you still have something clogging up the vacuum side of things?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try re-cleaning the pump basket and using some of the "Waterproof Lube Tube with PTFE" from the pool store on the seal. I already use it every so often, but maybe I need to use it more frequently. I'll clean the filter basket again and add more of this to seal, unless you think I should try something different on it.

If it's still doing the same thing, I'll figure out how to see if there is any blockage in the line (nothing is visible).

Can you send us a picture of your equipment pad showing the pump and any valves on the input to the pump? Also, where does your bac-a-rooda connect?

When is the last time the filter was cleaned? Does your pressure cage have numbers, if so, what pressure is "green"?

How many skimmers do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.