Energy Efficient pump upgrade

Jun 28, 2013
Hey guys. I have a hayward s200 pool filter with a Century Centurion B127 3/4 hp pump.
I was thinking of upgrading to an EcoPump.
There is an ecopump EP-2 EP-4 and EP-6 at 3/4, 1 and 1.5 hp respectfully.
One question is there any issue with going with the EP-6 and 1.5hp and running at the low speed?

The reason im looking at the ep-6 is because there is a cheap one on ebay right now for it.

The other question i have is what wold all be involved in switching out the pump itself?
I cant see anything on these that says the fitting sizes for the s200.
EcoPump Specs | EcoPump
here is the specs for the ecopumps
Would any of these ecopumps match up with the current set up i have?

I attached a photo so you can see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Pool filter and pump.jpg
    Pool filter and pump.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 71
You will likely need to change the plumbing on both end of the pump.

You could just swap out the motor with a two speed to get the same benefit. EcoPumps are not all that much better than a standard two speed pump efficiency and the ROI is not likely to be any better because of the inflated cost.

The wet end looks identical to my Hayward super pump. If you are looking for minimal plugging, I'd suggest looking at the mechanical specs and make sure everything lines up. I like Mas' idea of just replacing the motor end. You could get a 2 speed replacement motor, not sure if you can get the motor assembly for a VSP though. (I know hayward ships just the motor and controller as a replacement, don't ask, but I don't know if you can just buy them. )

Thanks for the info.
I guess i liked the idea of an ecopump because you are looking at 0.23kW with the ecopump vs the 1.38kW that my current pump is running.
Changing the pluming on both ends of a new pump shouldnt be an issue.
But it would be nice to not have to.

Is there a 2 speed replacement motor that would fit in with this strainer assembly?

A two speed will use about the same power on low speed. There is nothing magical about that pump.

The pump you have is a 1 HP Superpump. The Century B127 is a replacement motor that was put on the pump at some point. This motor is larger diameter than the original so I assume the motor support has been modified but you can still get a two speed replacement. However you should check to see how the motor is wired (230v vs 115v). A 115v two speed replacement would be a B973/B2973.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.