Owner / Builder - Sacramento - With Pictures and Prices!

napken

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 17, 2015
Sacramento, CA
​Hello!

I was going to wait to start this thread until the pool excavation actually started, but then I realized it might be too late by then to take advantage of some of the advice that is offered up on here. Also part of me has trouble believing that this is actually going to happen; even though I have permits, a dig date and a small fortune of pool equipment piled up in my garage.

A quick background on the build…I bought this home about 7 years ago and have never spent much time in the backyard. The only time I feel like I’m back there is to mow the lawn or clean up dog poop. Like everyone else on this forum, I’ve always wanted a pool. I had gotten some estimates from PB’s, but although fair, they always seemed to be just out of my price range and didn’t incorporate the upgrades I had imagined. A friend of mine did an owner/builder last year and I think that’s what finally gave me the confidence to move forward. That and the impending baby that was on her way. I figured if I didn’t do it now, I might never get around to it. My wife agreed as long as it was complete before the baby showed up...which was last Monday. Pool 1, me 0.

I also learned A LOT from bulldogz400’s build and kind of used that as a guide. His posting of prices was very helpful as well and gave me a target to compare to. I’ll try to mimic his thread with posting of estimates and actual prices paid.

So far I’ve contracted the dig, plumbing/electrical and steel. Dig is scheduled for 3/8/16. I plan on taking pictures of each phase of the process so that some other poor sap like myself spends countless hours pouring through these threads daydreaming about building a pool.

Below is a copy of my plan and some pictures of my backyard after I took down the patio cover and removed my small pond. I swear my backyard usually looks at least a little better than it does in the pictures. When I decided to go forward with the pool I gave up on maintenance. Oh, and my signature is either equipment I have or am planning to have after construction.

Mini20Permit20copyjpg_zpschp43tybpng-1.jpg

IMG_5996_zpshnfc4gee-1.jpg

IMG_5995_zpsvumiywsv-1.jpg

Re: Owner / Builder in Sacramento, CA

Welcome! I would move the pool light to the wall nearest the house and direct it to the water features. Otherwise, it may be irritating when you are hanging out in the spa. Congrats on the new baby!!!!

I’ll keep this post dedicated to the bids I received and which contractors I chose to go with. I’ll update it as I go along. The first price is the initial bid, those in parenthesis are for a lowered bid. I’m pretty much just copying bulldogz post because I thought he did such a good job.

Design Plans
bid 1: $500

Engineering
bid 1: $200

Permits
cost: $1000

Excavation (includes demo of 225sf patio and minor grading)
bid 1: $3824
bid 2: $5050
bid 3: $4800 (contracted)
bid 4: no reply
bid 5: no reply

Plumbing / Electrical
bid 1: $6995 ($6645) (contracted)
bid 2: $8050
bid 3: $5995 (plumbing only)

Steel
bid 1: $2000 (contracted)
bid 2: $2284
bid 3: $2980

Gunite
bid 1: $6650
bid 2: $5673 ($5531) (contracted)
bid 3: $8300

Tile
bid 1: $3685 (contracted)
bid 2: $2810
bid 3: no reply

Decking / Coping / Raised Bond Beam (two color stamped, 840’ patio, 127’ separate pour cantilever decking, 60’ deck-o-drain, matching lids )
bid 1: $12,140
bid 2: $7,232 (contracted)
bid 3: $11,775

Plaster (only one company in my area does pebbletec)
bid 1: $6,615 (pebble sheen blue surf)
bid 2: $6,150 (pebble plus with glass and seashell) (contracted)

Equipment
So far I have purchased all of my pool equipment online. I figured that would save me the most money and also I wouldn’t be rushed into buying equipment based solely on the recommendation of my plumber. I like taking the time to read the reviews on different websites comparing prices. I had also planned to save some money buy purchasing some of the equipment on craigslist, but between my local utilities rebate programs and competitive online prices, they never seemed to be worth it to me. Although I did find a heater that I probably would have bought if mine hadn’t already showed up.

I still haven’t picked out spa jets or eyeball returns so if anybody has any advice I’ll gladly take it.

Here’s my list (part, brand, model, total price):

auto filler
pentair
t40fw
globrite niche
pentair
small light niche
pentair
large light niche
pentair
led pool light
pentair
led spa light
pentair
led globrite
pentair
skimmer
pentair
led laminar (3)
pentair
580001T
intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp 230v
pentair
whisperflo 1 hp pump
pentair
easy touch control system
pentair
master temp 400k
pentair
clean and clear plus 520
pentair
starguard drain (2)
pentair
3-Port 1-1/2 to 2-Inch Valve (3)
jandy
1” ball valve (3)
jandy
energy element filter
jandy
spring check valve
jandy

IMG_6254_zpsgwq58ssg-1.jpg

IMG_6257_zps0fjodcpo-1.jpg

Hi Helen, I've been going back and forth on where it is now and where you recommended it for awhile. I'm concerned with how dark it will be in the deep end and if it will washout the LED deck jets if I move it. I would love to see a picture of a similar setup at night if anybody has a similar design? Thanks!

If you put it just on the other side of the overfill it should be bright enough for the deep end and no be in anyone's eyes in the spa. It might be in the eyes of the person sitting on the bench (nice touch having those two there!) but there is the other bench to sit on if wanted.

Another reason to not have the light there is it is in the "swim lane" if someone want to swim laps at night.

Just food for thought.

I love the design and set up! BUT where is the doggy going to go potty and play :(

Kim

Thanks Kim, it sounds like I'll be moving the light. Oh, and the dog still has some grass. The planter area in the top left of the plans is mislabeled, that will be grass. Not too much room for play, but will at least give my dachshund an area to do his business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swung by the two tile places I got quotes from today to try and make a selection. One place had apparently closed early but luckily the other place was open. Pretty sure I'll be going with the one that was open, and they've been in business for much longer than the other. I think we narrowed down our tile choices, but I have a tough time visualizing how they will look together with the stamped concrete. Here's some pictures I took at the showroom and an image I pulled off the internet of the stamped concrete I'd like to get, minus the darker bands. The quartzite tiles would be on the raised bond beam, waterline and exterior of the spa. The 1x1 tiles would be accent tiles around the steps and seats, and a few diamond shapes along the rbb and spa. We're thinking we're going to do spa exterior tiles diagonally and the waterline and rbb straight across. Our coping is going to be concrete.

Any thoughts on the spa exterior tiles being diagonal and the rbb/waterline being normal? The tile guys said the most recent orders of this tile have been more towards the gray hues and less pink. Also, does anybody have experience in doing a gas fire pit or built-in bbq where they are pouring new concrete? Are these things I will have to wait for the concrete to cure before I begin construction of either? Thanks in advance!

IMG_6259_zps8gobkxmk-1.jpg

IMG_6260_zps5fogvsmy-1.jpg

IMG_6262_zps0m4t39lg-1.jpg

016__4_1_zpsrr9rstva-1.jpg

You need two lights in the pool one under the skimmer and one where the sunshelf ends.

What kind of warranty did you get on the Pentair equip? My concern is you only have a 60 day warranty rather than the one or three year. In English who is doing the install of the equipment?

Some Sacramento county building inspectors will call you on the mid panel boards on the fence. Mine did not but some will and make you install 45s on your neighbors side of the fence. I don't think your pad can be where it is. Generally it must be five feet from the fence line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Gwegan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Would you go with the same powered light for the shallow end that I have in the deep end? Or would a spa light or something smaller work better? I have the Pentair Intellibrite right now and am not against adding a second one, I just don’t want the lighting to be overpowering.

All the big ticket Pentair equipment still comes with the 3 year warranty, as long as it is professionally installed (which it is going to be). If I were to install the equipment myself I would be limited to the 60 days.

I’ll have to look into the fence situation more. Nobody has mentioned anything specific other than it has to be fenced in and have outward swinging gates.

I’m actually in the City of Sacramento, not the unincorporated part of the county, and fall under their local Code Enforcement. The required setbacks was my biggest concern since I have a fairly small backyard. I read through the city code and asked direct questions when applying for my permit. Regarding the pool equipment, I was surprised to find out that for interior side yard, as long as it meets the front yard setback, is screened or landscaped and meets noise standards from the nearest neighboring structure it is allowed.

The fence is problematic. My county inspector didn't care but I know others do.

The lights -- you don't want them in the swim lane -- the led's are not as bright as the incandescent. That is why I say 2 lights.
But the pool is what 25 by about 14? One might work. Pentair makes some small lights Go Brights they are low voltage -- if you put one or two on your sunshelf and centered the large one for the pool that would probably work. the Gobrights only need to be submerged 4 inches. look at that

@gwegan I’ll follow up with code enforcement and see what they have to say about the fence. I’ve talked to my neighbors before about replacing our shared fence and splitting the cost but nobody was interested. I imagine it would be a more difficult conversation to have when I’m putting in a pool. The pool is 28x14 (16 in the deep end) but I think you’re right about a globrite on the sunshelf. I had not heard of them before, but after your advice and a little research I pulled the trigger. Should be here Tuesday.

@pooldv Thanks for the link. I’m assuming it’s a matter of preference between pressure and flow, but would you recommend the 1/2, 3/4 or 1” returns? I'd like to keep this pool as energy efficient as possible.

@kim My wife and I really like the diamond shape too. It’s unusual for me to be this indecisive on things, but everything seems so permanent (and expensive!), I really want to get this right.

So keeping in mind that I'm putting a globrite on the sunshelf, take a look at my artistic masterpiece and let me know which light setup you think would be best. Yellow/red or yellow/blue? I think I like yellow/blue just for the symmetry.

Thanks again!

Pool20Light20Placement_zpshkxa0ijwpng-1.jpg

I'm not sure I'd say anything to the building department. While the City is generally easier to get along with than the county I might wait to see if they say anything. There is a risk there. My county inspector really didn't care. The problem is that it comes up at the pre-plaster inspection although they could talk to you about it beforehand.

No great answers on lights -- but maybe yellow and move red six inches right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.