Best Type of Heater for New Orleans

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
Hi all,

New to the forum, and excited for this great resource.

We are just about to start building an inground pool here in New Orleans, and are trying to figure out the best type of heater to get. It's not going to be a very large pool, certainly not bigger than 20 x 15 (and probably a couple feet less in both directions), and not too deep.

We have a pool at our house in Tampa (maybe 25 x 15 or so), and have an electric heater (not heat pump) there which has worked well for the few years that we have had it - it heats up pretty quickly and has not been horribly expensive (it's a Hayward). However, we are there infrequently and I am somewhat wary of using electric here where will we be using it much more regularly.

I was very interested in heat pumps, but we have heard anecdotally that "all" of the people here who have them are unhappy - they just can't heat it up enough. And my wife likes the pool nice and toasty.

We have natural gas lines here, so were initially thinking that would be the way to go, but my research says otherwise, as it appears to be the least efficient method, especially if you are going to keep it heated for significant stretches at a time.

I love the idea of solar, but it seems quite expensive, and we know a few people who had it and it just could not do the job.

Finally, as for covers, I had initially been planning on an automatic cover (although I know they are pricey), but it looks like we may have somewhat of a free form shape, and I haven't been able to find many people here with them anyway, so may end up with just a simple bubble cover (which is what we have in Tampa). Was also interested in the Pool Boy contraption, which goes above deck and is an automatic system, so I'm thinking that could work even with an irregular shape. Interested in any experiences with automatic pool covers or the Pool Boy.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but a lot on my mind. Thanks much in advance for any advice!

You and your research are correct, a heat pump is the most efficient way to heat a pool. If you are looking to keep it heated more of the time than not. Gas is better for heating occasionally. The climate in N.O. is pretty good for efficient heat pump operation for a pool. I think if you look a little closer at the details of people who are unhappy with heat pumps you will notice two things. Their pools are big, 25k-40k gallons, and/or they live pretty far north. So, their temperature differential is big and their BTU requirement is huge. For them, going from a 125k btu heat pump to a 400k btu gas heater does work better. But, so would adding two more heat pumps. It just costs a lot to add two more heat pumps vs getting one 400k gas heater.

So, for your pool Hayward has the perfect heat pump, the HP50HA. I just ordered one myself a couple of weeks ago but I haven't installed it yet so I can't tell you how awesome it works yet. Hayward Heat Pump HP50HA | Hayward HP50HA

Realized I never replied to this thread. Thanks for the input. There was a little confusion re heat pumps - that is in fact what we do have in Tampa, so we ordered the same one for here, as we have been very happy with it. It is a Hayward, I believe the 140k BTU one. And our pool ended up a fair bit bigger than anticipated - we're actually more like 27-28 x 12-15, so that's exciting. Weather has been killing us, have had the gunite in for weeks now, and hopefully they'll finally be back tomorrow to work on the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.