Complexity of diy swg addition

nutria

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 20, 2015
Austin, TX
About a year ago I was able to transform the pool that came with my house from swamp to summer fun using the great advice here (thanks!). Now that I know a bit more I would really like to switch to a SWG to avoid storing and carrying bleach on an almost daily basis. It seems like there are reasonably priced systems like the circupool that should be not to hard to self install. So my question is, what is involved exactly in the installation? Also can you have a look at the pumping station and comment whether you see any potential problems? Would it be a good idea to take out the puck chlorinator and insert the swg in its place?

image.jpg

Thanks!

Good job taking care of your pool! Yes, that is a good spot for an SWG, is that hose in front of it the suction for your pressure cleaner? There are quite a few happy Circupool SWG users on TFP. We typically recommend sizing an SWG at 1.5-3 times the pool gallons to avoid having to run the pump excessively to make enough chlorine. So a 60k swg will be ok. All you do is cut the plumbing line and solvent weld the unions for the cell. Mount the controller on your Uchannel and connect 2 hots and a ground wire to the switched side of your pump timer and connect the bonding wire to the bond loop.

I agree where the puck feeder is a likely a good place for the SWG, it is hard to tell how hard it will be to splice in from that photo with the pump outlet line blocking part of the view though. I don't recall hearing anything bad about the circupool, however it seems the most popular and most often recommended SWG's here are the Hayward units, as they seem to have some of the best bang for the buck on units and replacement cells if you buy online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.