First Set of Results

Finally closed on our new home, and the results are in.

Indoor, tile lined in-ground pool, approximately 22000 gallons.

FC 9.5
CC <0.5
pH 7.8
TA 250
CH 150 ~ 200 (was hard to read)
CYA 0
Temperature 73

CSI calculates to ~ +0.5 to +0.6

It was hard to get a reading on the CH level - the sample seemed to turn chunky. Tested the fill water, found it to be in the 200 to 250 range, which is odd since the pool was filled with tap water, and I was expecting a higher level. Our tap water is supposed to be about 25 grains of hardness - which should be in the 400 range, if I'm not mistaken. I may be doing something wrong.

The pool has been sitting unused and covered, just topped up once a week with granular chlorine according to the previous owner - which would imply there is likely to be some CYA, but the black dot didn't even get cloudy. It was a new fill late last year.

So, I'm thinking there are a few things to do - get the CYA to about 20 (as this is an indoor pool), keep the FC around 4, and bring the pH down to 7.6. Over time, the TA should come down, but if I do get down to 7.6 pH, even at my target temperature of 80 degrees, the CSI ends up at 0.4.

Any thoughts on that course of action? Any advice for improving the accuracy of my CH test?

Also, I will post pictures shortly - I just need to get them off of my camera.

Happy to be here!

Your TA is really high, it needs to be lowered to 120 or even 100. That will fix your CSI. Keeping your PH at 7.2 to 7.5 will help in the meantime. How high your tap water TA high? Is TA the test that needs to have the static released from the bottle tip? Maybe double check that test, if you haven't already.

Here is the process to lower TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

On the CH test I sometimes have to vigorously shake up the R0011 to unclump it, it seems to help. I would expect your CH to be at least as high or higher than your tap water.

I think I would keep CYA at 30.

You are in the house and the pool is going to be great! Such a happy time!

You are so far ahead of the game it is not even funny! Love that you already have the test kit AND used it! NICE!

Lets work on getting that TA down please. That is high. Use the link given above to move it. I turn my return (eyeball that sends water back into the pool) up so that it really rolls the water to get my PH back up after I lower it with the MA.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Kim

So I looked into my high TA, and it turns out that our tap water is right in line with that value - so no surprise there. I will bring it down over time.

On the hardness front, I had a question - in looking into reports on the water where I live, the reports list both Calcium and Harness, separately - and the Calcium number runs around what I tested, but then the hardness number runs in the 400 range. Are they measuring something different there?

And finally, I know you've been waiting for pictures!

P1020547small.jpg

P1020545small.jpg

Welcome! That's a cool indoor pool there.

Yes, they are measuring total hardness, and you're only testing Calcium hardness. Primarily excluded from the Calcium Hardness is the magnesium. No worries if your other numbers line up reasonably well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.