Can I add liquid chlorine to the chlorine tab dispenser?

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
Hello, first time pool owner here (just built!), but been lurking around TFP since November. I am planning on using liquid bleach rather than the chlorine tabs/tube dispenser that came with my pool. Can I simply add the bleach to the tube dispenser? I worry about adding bleach directly to the pool, because of potential bleach spills on the deck, plaster discoloration, splashes on the tile, etc. And it just seems easier. Not sure how long it would take to dispense bleach from the tube, though, or whether this would be safe for the pool and equipment?

I add chlorine slowly in front of a return jet in my deepend. If I am adding a lot, I will brush the pool. Works for me. If I drip a little on the deck, I just get a bucket or two of pool water and swab it down.

I think adding chlorine to the chlorinator would be a pita if nothing else. Oh, and welcome!

Hi Mark and welcome to TFP. :wave: I have two immediate concerns with trying to use the in-line chlorinator for liquid bleach:
1 - Inconsistent or inaccurate dispensing. Not so sure that chlorinator dial will be able to provide the fine-tuned amount required.
2 - Safety! If for any reason, anyone forgot and added trichlor tabs to the dispenser while there was bleach in there, that would not be good.

Typically folks will shop around for a dedicated liquidator/stenner pump for such applications. That's my initial thoughts. Others may have more details.

Nice to have you with us!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Good call on not chlorinating with pucks. Pouring bleach slowly into the pool in front of a return with the pump running is not very risky. With a 30k gallon pool you will most likely be adding adding a whole jug anyway. I always add a full jug then dip it in the water and partially refill it, swirl it arou d and empty it into the pool again to rinse out the jug.

I know I'm in the minority... And at the risk of being chastised for doing it , to me it's a no brainier. Slowly pour it directly in the skimmer. I don't believe for 1 second that it's harmful to any equipment and it's instantly distributed evenly throughout the pool. Seems foolish to pour it in front of a return. I won't however pour acid into the skimmer.
Ok .....let me have it.
Kris

Mod note: This is not the best way to add chlorine to your pool. It may cause harm to the pump and equipment. It is better to pour it in front of the return with the pump on.

The added chlorine level going into the skimmer can be harmful to the rubber parts in your plumbing, how much it will shorten the life of these components I will not say, but it is certainly not good for them, and a lot will depend on just how slowly you pour.

The added chlorine level going into the skimmer can be harmful to the rubber parts in your plumbing, how much it will shorten the life of these components I will not say, but it is certainly not good for them, and a lot will depend on just how slowly you pour.

Yup... That's what everyone has been told. Then they repeat it to others , and on and on....
We're not supposed to use bleach to chlorinate are pool either. :)
I'm in the northeast, I believe the sun and the cold do more harm to my equipment than chlorine that's diluted anyway by the time it gets to it.
Kris

Folks, just to keep this thread on-track ... the OP was asking about adding bleach to their in-line chlorinator (tube) dispenser, not the skimmer. Somehow this discussion got a bit off-track. Just want to make sure the OP (MarkTX) gets good feedback for his original question. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can someone explain to me what is so difficult about adding it straight to the water in front of the return? If you put the bottle in the water so that the spout is only about an inch away and pour slowly it will not splash and the bottle will be rinsed of any potential residue. Unless you are pouring several feet above the water surface or pouring so quickly that it gurgles then this seems to be a non-issue. The simplest solution is to just pour it correctly, not to start dumping chlorine in places not designed for it.

As for "opinions", it is on the one giving advice to prove that it is safe advice, not on the rest of us to disprove it. If someone has no data to back up the advice given then they have no business getting insulted when it is removed. Using bleach to chlorinate can be proven to be no different than any other liquid chlorine products. If there is data showing that dramatically raising the pH and FC inside of a filtration system will cause zero damage to any part of the system then we would appreciate seeing that data.

It is pretty easy to add directly from the jug. I allow the jug to "float" in the water while I'm pouring, with the opening just above the water surface. The only problem I ever have is a leg cramp from time to time because I pour so slow...

MarkTX, if you're still following your thread, you probably know by now that just about all TFP'rs simply add bleach directly to the water near a return jet(s). While there are exceptions at times, this is the case for most chemical additions. On occasion, pool owners may deviate slightly or have their own preferred method of dispensing, but for the most part you'll find that typically we advise to slowly pour near a return jet. This is generally very safe when done slowly and carefully, just like any chemical addition. Just in case you haven't already seen it, here is some more info from our Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool page.

As I noted in post #3, I would refrain from using the tab dispenser for adding liquid chlorine for the reasons noted in that post. If you have any other specific que4stions, please feel free to let us know. Have a nice day.

I have an auto cover and after it rains with a lot of water on the cover even after the cover pump I will dump some chlorine in the skimmer instead of the time of getting the excess water off and opening the cover. I would go this route verses the auto chlorinator tube route. If you can just pour it in front of a return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.