Going at this backwards i know. Please help.

Mar 1, 2016
Orient, SD
For the last 2 years we have had a intex 16' pool. My kids love it. Well my mothers friend parted out their pool. The walls or something to do with teenage drivers. Anyways I bought their used for 26 day old Hayward EC50C93S Perflex 1-1/2horsepower extended cycle D.E. Filter pool system. They had it on a oval AGP pool. I want a round pool. How big can I go?
Space is not an issue back yard is under 5acres.

thank you for your help

Pool size

This is the pump and filter I bought from a friend, Hayward ec50c93s 1-1/2 hp ec de system. They had it on a oval I want round how big can I go. The system is only 26 days old. Completely cleaned and ready for me to start up with new pool.
How big of a round pool can I go?

This is one of Haywards "bumpable" DE filters (I have its big brother the EC75), on these filters when they start to clog up you turn off the pump, lift up and down on the bump handle a couple of times and this redistributes the DE and partly cleans the filter. This cycle repeats with the filter clogging faster and faster until you must backwash all the old DE out and recoat the filter tubes with fresh DE. The filter will also need to be disassembled and deep cleaned once every year or two depending on how hard your water is (takes a couple of hours or so). Having said this the size of the pool and how much material gets blown in will determine how frequently the filter needs to be bumped, and how often it must be backwashed and recoated, towards the end of each DE backwash cycle it is common to need to be bumped once every couple of days. So while this filter will likely handle any size above ground pool you may get, the amount of time you spend bumping / recoating the DE could potentially get excessive.

Ike

The pump size doesn't matter much for pool size but the filter size can make some difference and it really comes down to cleaning frequency. The larger the pool, the more often you will need to clean the filter.

Having said that, a 25 sqft DE filter should be good up to 15k gallon maximum. That should allow you 3-4 months in-between cleaning but it does depend on how much stuff drops in your pool.

Given the bump clean nature of these filters I would tend to go a bit higher than mas985 suggest, but it is a judgement call based on how often you want to backwash and change DE, given flow rate and pump size you are probably good up to 35,000, you would just likely get mad at it for constantly needing to be bumped and backwashed.

I wouldn't sell it. Especially if you got it for next to nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.